Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Request: Worn knife photo

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    He told me his family cooked for people at manzanar ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanar )... so there's a good chance these knives were used there.
    We had a family friend, Chiye Mori (Oshima was her married name), who was incarcerated there. Perhaps your friend's family cooked for her. Small world.

Will have to add that site to my list of Bike Tours I need to do before leaving CA.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    Right now, one of the craftsmen we work with is refurbing them for him... he saw them while he was out here visiting and decided he waned to help out by restoring them. Cant wait to see how they turn out.
    Can't wait to see as well. That's some serious history there.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

There seems to be a fair number of Masamotos in these pictures. I wonder if it is or was the most popular working chef's knife brand?
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

for many years it has been the standard go to (due to accessibility among other things)

This thread rules. It's so nice to see these things being used and used. I sharpened a guy's swiss army knife at the market a few weeks back that was WAY thinner than it used to be. I love to see a knife getting used up.

Most of the time, knives get retired early due to ignorance, lack of interest, damage(dropped the Honyaki on the tile floor), or neglect rusts them out, and in the bin they go. Also, sometimes there are knives that are just not worth the effort to repair. Case in point:

You can ask Heath Besch how jacked up that knife is. I was asked to fix it, but the backside hollow is only about 1/3 of the way to the tip now, what little is left of the shinogi is totally doing it's own thing, the handle is warped, cracked, split and separated with old fish and finger crud in every crevice, the heel is underground by like 1cm, and, of course the tip looks like ^that^. I was like "Uh...this can maybe go to an actual Japanese Bladesmith, but it might just be more practical to melt it down and start over.

Most of the guys at work have knives pretty well worn. I might not keep them the shiniest, but I can say is that mine don't birds beak like some of the others. Here's a few pics of my single bevel ones. Note the original 270 saya next to them as comparison.

And another to show the handle on the ajikiri...sorry for quality just got my first smart phone and wanted to try out the camera.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I only see 1 pic
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    well good quality, and nothing out of focus. I don't think you have to be sorry for anything. In fact great pics. for a cell phone.
    Chewie's the man.