Quantcast
Oysters - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oysters

I don't eat them regularly like I used to, so my memory of fresh oysters boils down to kumamoto being extreamly reliably thick shelled, meaty, and easy to work with...vs coromondels with flaky shatering shells that were half throwaways. Always enjoyed trying new ones, but when we were in the weeds I learned to hate some too.

vs

Oysters are still one of those gastronomical mysteries to me - I have yet to find the fascination they seem to hold for so many other people. But I never systematically ate my way through the different varieties, maybe I just need an evening with a knowledgeable guide and sufficient vodka to discover the secret...

Stefan

We had Kumamotos topped with Uni in a restaurant last night. I know that guilding the lily so to speak, but man were they good!

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Oysters are still one of those gastronomical mysteries to me - I have yet to find the fascination they seem to hold for so many other people. But I never systematically ate my way through the different varieties, maybe I just need an evening with a knowledgeable guide and sufficient vodka to discover the secret...

Stefan
    Champagne, Stefan, not vodka.

I also imagine it's harder to enjoy oysters in Hawaii than other locations because it's usually warm there. I definitely enjoyed oysters less when the weather was warmer even though I had access to plentiful, cheap oysters all year when I lived in New Orleans. They taste so good when they're cold, plump and crisp.

Then again, you're in Hawaii. You've got so many other tasty creatures of the sea available!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I love malpeques. Not heard of champagne with oysters. I only eat oysters straight up, no condiments no crackers. But I am a traditionalistin preferring to drink stout with my oysters.

-AJ

Here's kaki nabe (pot)...

I was curious how poeple "fish" oysters, and I found this oyster-tree looking thing.... How do people get them (other than, of course, swimming and grabbing them)?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I miss oysters we had at one restaurant. We would fry them. My god I would keep "trying" them. One day I just bought a tub (can't remember what the casing was called) and went crazy.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Great photos.

The second one especially.
    How cool is service in an open kitchen??
    The oyster bar is still there in Grand Central station. Those same cooks might actually still be working there, they are ancient and the new guy has been only shucking oysters there for 40 years. Their hands are all knarly from scars from sticking themselves over the years with the oyster knife. That's the way it was about ten years ago it may have change since then.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by steeley View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
    The only thing that keeps me off those boards is money. The damn things ain't cheap. I think I did 17 dozen last time in New Orleans about 10 years ago.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Champagne, Stefan, not vodka.

I also imagine it's harder to enjoy oysters in Hawaii than other locations because it's usually warm there. I definitely enjoyed oysters less when the weather was warmer even though I had access to plentiful, cheap oysters all year when I lived in New Orleans. They taste so good when they're cold, plump and crisp.

Then again, you're in Hawaii. You've got so many other tasty creatures of the sea available!
    You would be surprized Mhlee Refrig. air fr. New Zeland to Hawaii.I really like the NZ oysters small & sweet meat.That & we do have ice machines out here for oysters on the half shell on crushed ice.

+ Reply to Thread