Oysters

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
Found a nice little site .
http://www.oysterguide.com/oyster-finder/

w0IK.jpg
[/IMG]

zFpEx.jpg
[/IMG]

few oyster knives from RMURPHY.
ChVSM.png
[/IMG]

cBxFI.png
[/IMG]

zUbB.png
[/IMG]

Great photos.

The second one especially.
How cool is service in an open kitchen??

Very cool Sara Thank you for sharing .
who knew there was a World Oyster Society.

from Scotland.
5tdQU.jpg
[/IMG]

Welcome to the forum Sara.

My favorites

BELON
aLMx.jpg
[/IMG]

OLYMPIA small and sweet it takes 250 just to fill a pint.
rHlbQ.jpg
[/IMG]

I like this poster from 1876.
ha0cQ.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't eat them regularly like I used to, so my memory of fresh oysters boils down to kumamoto being extreamly reliably thick shelled, meaty, and easy to work with...vs coromondels with flaky shatering shells that were half throwaways. Always enjoyed trying new ones, but when we were in the weeds I learned to hate some too.

media.nl

vs

oysters.jpg

Oysters are still one of those gastronomical mysteries to me - I have yet to find the fascination they seem to hold for so many other people. But I never systematically ate my way through the different varieties, maybe I just need an evening with a knowledgeable guide and sufficient vodka to discover the secret...

Stefan

Oysters are still one of those gastronomical mysteries to me - I have yet to find the fascination they seem to hold for so many other people. But I never systematically ate my way through the different varieties, maybe I just need an evening with a knowledgeable guide and sufficient vodka to discover the secret...

Stefan

Champagne, Stefan, not vodka. ;)

I also imagine it's harder to enjoy oysters in Hawaii than other locations because it's usually warm there. I definitely enjoyed oysters less when the weather was warmer even though I had access to plentiful, cheap oysters all year when I lived in New Orleans. They taste so good when they're cold, plump and crisp.

Then again, you're in Hawaii. You've got so many other tasty creatures of the sea available!

I love malpeques. Not heard of champagne with oysters. I only eat oysters straight up, no condiments no crackers. But I am a traditionalistin preferring to drink stout with my oysters.

-AJ

Here's kaki nabe (pot)...
img27574713.gif

I was curious how poeple "fish" oysters, and I found this oyster-tree looking thing.... How do people get them (other than, of course, swimming and grabbing them)?
D1002108.JPG

I miss oysters we had at one restaurant. We would fry them. My god I would keep "trying" them. One day I just bought a tub (can't remember what the casing was called) and went crazy.

Great photos.

The second one especially.
How cool is service in an open kitchen??

The oyster bar is still there in Grand Central station. Those same cooks might actually still be working there, they are ancient and the new guy has been only shucking oysters there for 40 years. Their hands are all knarly from scars from sticking themselves over the years with the oyster knife. That's the way it was about ten years ago it may have change since then.

Champagne, Stefan, not vodka. ;)

I also imagine it's harder to enjoy oysters in Hawaii than other locations because it's usually warm there. I definitely enjoyed oysters less when the weather was warmer even though I had access to plentiful, cheap oysters all year when I lived in New Orleans. They taste so good when they're cold, plump and crisp.

Then again, you're in Hawaii. You've got so many other tasty creatures of the sea available!

You would be surprized Mhlee Refrig. air fr. New Zeland to Hawaii.I really like the NZ oysters small & sweet meat.That & we do have ice machines out here for oysters on the half shell on crushed ice.:hula:

Back