Joy of a Child

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepCSweede

Reaction score
As some of you may or may not know, my wife and I have been foster parents for a little under a year now. In that small amount of time we have seen swings of good and bad of the "system" and also a gambit of the bad things that can happen to children in this world whether that be from neglect or from serious physical abuse.

However, yesterday I was humbled to see something really cool. The birthday of a child is a big event and our four year old foster son turned five. My wife made some treats for him to take to day care and then took him out to get a new glove, ball and bat. Then he got to chose dinner (spaghetti and meatballs) and got a cake with some spiderman candies on it. I was amazed at the excitement and appreciation that this young man had towards the whole day. This is a child that had never seen a baseball game until he came into our home and he was shaking he was so excited and he was beaming from ear to ear still when he went to bed. I feel very blessed to have been able to share in this young boys happiness.

I know those of you with your own children see this on a regular basis and I hope you are able to sit back and take that in because some of those memories will really stick for them, but in the same right, I worry that my soon to be daughter and future children may take some of these "little things" for granted where someone who hasn't had the family environment to get these things has true appreciation.

Eric

That's a touching story....thank you for sharing and for being a foster parent. Parenting can be a challenge, but it truly lies within our own hands to teach little ones. I'm confident from your words (and future actions) that your future children will be just as appreciative.

That's a touching story....thank you for sharing and for being a foster parent. Parenting can be a challenge, but it truly lies within our own hands to teach little ones. I'm confident from your words (and future actions) that your future children will be just as appreciative.

+1. Nothing more I can say than thank you for being a foster parent.

I would like you thank you on behalf of the world, for being so kind. Thank you for sharing, I am very touched by your story. :)

A child's world is so small; it doesn't have to take much to bring joy and security to them. Thanks.

That is amazing! I can't wait to adopt.

As a kid, I never understood birthdays. But this past Sunday, oldest(now 3) got up and put on the new Purple Dress she picked out, opened her surprise present(a pair of binoculars), we had Strawberry Pancakes for dinner, and went to see Brave. All day she was looking at me, smiling and saying "Happy Birthday, Daddy". It was one of the best birthdays ever.

Wow great share. Having no kid's of my own I love stories like this.

I have three; Foster Parenting is definitly not for wussies. Take more pictures, you will be teaching her to drive in no time!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Great story Eric. Thanks for doing what you do. I've had some of my friends tell me that they are just "too selfish" to have kids after seeing how hard of a job it can be. It is so worth it though, the best jb in the world is being a dad.
I have a boy and a girl, so my wife says we're done having kids. Hopefully we can do fostering or adoption in the future. They grow up so fast.

Back