You're having a good day when...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your neighbor arrives home from his family farm and immediately hands you a grocery bag filled with fresh veggies and a dozen fresh duck eggs. I see a veggie duck egg omelet in my future...

I don't think I've ever had a duck egg...

I've never had a veggie duck egg.

A veggie duck, is that like a tofu steak?

Oxymoron alert!!!! My biggest issue with the veggie movement is the whole trying to make vegetables taste like meat. It's self defeating. Just enjoy them for what they are. Stop trying to make faux meat that tastes likes soy sauce and fermented soy. Meat tastes like blood. Vegetables don't bleed like animals do. They don't bleed delicious... Sorry if I sidetracked this whole thread. Duck eggs are ***** amazing. And so are vegetables. That sounds like a great day to me:D

I have friends who keep chickens and ducks who won't use the duck eggs. They give me as many as i can use and I am doing THEM a favor. Duck eggs are chicken eggs on steroids.

The bigger fattier yolk make great cakes. Goose eggs are also awesome, and are bigger still. I'd go for duck eggs benedict over an omelette :D

Duck eggs are incredible. I'm in the same boat as pitonboy (know someone who raises ducks but doesn't eat the eggs) and I use them for all kinds of things. My favorite applications also involve home-cured bacon: frisee salad with bacon, a poached duck egg, and some lemon juice and olive oil (the runny yolk helps form a dressing), bacon and a duck egg on an English muffin for a heart-attack breakfast, and my favorite, carpaccio with a duck egg and some really good sherry vinegar.

Love them too! The yolk is very unctuous. I can't find the book, but Chris Cosentino has a recipe in his cook book - it was a pork ramen type broth with blood sausage, duck egg and oysters.

Phillipino people eat duck eggs that are half developed. I can't eat those. Half developed chicken eggs yes. But no duck for me.

Phillipino people eat duck eggs that are half developed. I can't eat those. Half developed chicken eggs yes. But no duck for me.

I once bought some of these eggs with baby birds inside from the asian market not knowing what was inside. I had my daughters crack them open the next morning as we were going to make an omelet--out tumbled this half-ducklings. All of us were shocked and a little grossed out.:fanning:

I admit its partly traumatic for me too even though I eat that stuff. I eat the yolk and the white but the chick tastes just like you would imagine. Bones and feathers. But it's worth trying out just to tast that natural broth from the egg. Nature sure knows how to season.

We Filipinos call it "balut". Best eaten in the dark after a few beers. My kids love it (sans beer). We were laughing at home when it was one of the challenges on "Fear Factor". :)

Back