Quantcast
Yoshihiro Yanagiba
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Yoshihiro Yanagiba

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4

    Yoshihiro Yanagiba

    So I'm expecting to be starting work in a sushi restaurant fairly soon and I'd like to get some opinions on an entry yanagiba I've been considering.

    Among the more well-known brands, the Masamoto 300 KS ($360) and the Suisin Shironiko ($290) are at the top of my list, but in terms of aesthetics, this knife from Yoshihiro ($200) wins by a landslide.

    http://www.amazon.com/YOSHIHIRO--Hon...ords=yoshihiro

    Although I prefer the looks of the Yoshihiro knife, I am rather uncertain about its quality; is it on the same level as the other two brands at the given price point?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach
    Posts
    495
    Hey,

    If you are looking for a great starter yanagi and are interested in the Yoshihiro I would really look at this one... http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-yanagiba.html

    -Chuck

    Edit: the link for the yoshi you posted is $315

  3. #3
    Senior Member Keith Neal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    381
    As a home cook, I don't have the experience that many of the folks here have, so, from the what it's worth department: I have been using the Masamoto you are considering for a couple of years and think it is great. It gets really sharp, and, in my use, stays that way quite well. It handles comfortably -- feels like an extension of my arm, and is a pleasure to use. My local sushi chef used it a bit and was most impressed with it.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    stereo.pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,752
    I purchased a Yoshihiro yanagiba from Jon at JKI and I am very happy with it. Incredibly reasonable in price, it's straight and cuts like the dickens. Not to mention Jon's service is the best I have seen yet from anyone selling knives. He literally spent a little over an hour via Skype to make sure I knew how to sharpen it correctly.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Oslo
    Posts
    1,428
    There is more sources of yoshihiro on the net, nicer handles and so on, as well as you could buy from JKI.

    I have a deba from Jon and it is very good knife.

    If I would be on a budget or trying to get entry level nice blade, for 235 bucks you cannot get that good anywhere else imho. Even those honkasumi from bluewayjapan on ebay are not.

    Its said its entry level knife, that does not mean it cuts worse or the sharpness isnt as good as on some other [more pricey] knives.

    PS congrats on the job

  6. #6
    The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck239 View Post
    Hey,

    If you are looking for a great starter yanagi and are interested in the Yoshihiro I would really look at this one... http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-yanagiba.html

    -Chuck

    Edit: the link for the yoshi you posted is $315
    I just ordered the yanagiba Chuck linked. It came down to that one or the masamoto KS.

  7. #7
    Senior Member markenki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    I purchased a Yoshihiro yanagiba from Jon at JKI and I am very happy with it. Incredibly reasonable in price, it's straight and cuts like the dickens. Not to mention Jon's service is the best I have seen yet from anyone selling knives. He literally spent a little over an hour via Skype to make sure I knew how to sharpen it correctly.
    Wow. Very, very impressed with JKI's service. I know who I'm turning to when I'm ready for a yanagiba.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4
    http://www.amazon.com/YOSHIHIRO--Shi...ords=yoshihiro

    Sorry about the mistaken link; this was the one I was actually referring to. Are the Amazon knives as good as the ones Jon sells?

    And thanks for the comments. My thinking is mostly that although $0 is pretty far from $200, the jump from $200 to $300 isn't as big of a deal so I wouldn't be too put out about spending more for a noticeably better blade. But I do think I'll probably end up with a Yoshihiro now.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    329
    What you get from buying from Jon is peace of mind. With kasumi knives (referring here to the finish grade, not the knifemaking process), uneven blade roads are pretty common. Jon knows as much about Japanese blades as anyone and will make sure you get a usable knife.

    I'm certainly not qualified to fix a blade road. If you are, ebay's not a bad way to go; if not, I would contact Jon.

  10. #10
    The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by taketori View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/YOSHIHIRO--Shi...ords=yoshihiro

    Sorry about the mistaken link; this was the one I was actually referring to. Are the Amazon knives as good as the ones Jon sells?

    And thanks for the comments. My thinking is mostly that although $0 is pretty far from $200, the jump from $200 to $300 isn't as big of a deal so I wouldn't be too put out about spending more for a noticeably better blade. But I do think I'll probably end up with a Yoshihiro now.
    I found the post where Jon talked about this: "We are currently in the process of transitioning our Yoshihiro knives to Gesshin Uraku. This is being done for a number of reasons. First and foremost is to stop the confusion with regard to the lines we were selling and the lines other companies were selling. We got a lot of questions about our white #2 single bevel knives from them and how they were different from the Yoshihiro Kasumi line being sold elsewhere. The line we carry (now Gesshin Uraku) had better fit and finish, better consistency of grind, less issues with warping, less high and low spots, and in my experience a better heat treatment... Kind of like the difference between kasumi and hon-kasumi.

    In addition, this change is an opportunity for us to improve quality control and maintain a line with the quality of knives we feel comfortable with."
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-Gesshin-Uraku

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts