lightweight breathable pants for work?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aser

Reaction score
I work in a kitchen where we can wear anything, as it's a pretty hip place. My coworkers all wear jeans, some super hipster snug. In the dead of summer, it's way too hot to wear jeans when it gets to 40C in a kitchen. What suggestions do you all have? What do you guys wear at work.

I prefer something that is slimmer in profile, normally I wear levi's 511's if that gives an indicator.

Anybody try stuff w/ synthetic fabrics that dry quickly? I'm a big fan of Schoeller Dryskin Extreme, I have a MEC jacket using that fabric. It is super breathable, dries quickly, and repels water quite well.

Right now I alternate between standard checkered cotton chef pants that are mc hammer baggy (like all chef's pants), or these dockers polyester material pants in black.

I've been wearing "Dickies" brand work pants for the last 6-7 years in the kitchen.They are by no means "lightweight" or "breathable",but I counter the with a splash of baby powder during the hot summer months.....

I dunno about shorts in a busy kitchen,sounds good but the thought of hot oil or water splashing on my bare legs is just too much...:scared4:

Function before fashion bro, especially in the kitchen. You'll outlive your skinny jeans phase and chef pants(houndstooth or black) will always be there(however ugly) waiting for you to embrace them.

On the non smart-a$$ tip though, I have not tried any of the synthetics you are speaking of. I have some undershirts/wifebeaters, etc made of quick-dry material that I love. Any synthetic pant I've tried tends to stain too easily, and you might have a flammability issue. Maybe, maybe not.

If you have an REI or large high-end sporting goods store near you, they should have quite a few options.

All of the top outdoor gear companies (north face, mountain hardware, patagonia, arcitrex, etc) are making some version of synthetic, hot weather pants. They're all going to be desined with function and freedom of movement in mind, but some are more "fitted" and snug.
You should be able to find what you want, just be prepared to spend $60 - $100. If youre an REI memeber, they will replace/exchange anything that you manage to destroy or just decide isnt working out (even after months/years of use).

Check out Gramicci.com. They have nice breathable pants, try either the guide pants or original g pants.

i have some dickies that i wear for work that ive owned since the late 90s. they do seem to last forever although theyve faded quite abit. theyre more comfortable after you break them in some too. but they arent too breathable compared to something like chefwear for instance. im on the lookout for breathable affordable chef pants without the "MC hammer" look as well. i look forward to hearing recommendations!

The Gramicci stuff looks good, I might have to check some of those out. Thanks for the tip.

Last 2 purchases have been through chef wear. I have quit the baggy crappy pants just because I would end up ripping out the crotch some how or way. I have bought 2 pairs of shorts and 2 pairs of pants. Prob. will buy 2 more pairs of pants. I have tried many different pants and some reason cotton just seems to be the best.

We wear cotton in the foundry and it's hotter in there. Of course though we probably wear it cause iron doesn't stick to it. Aluminum and copper is a different story, nasty stuff.

-AJ

At 240$ (Canadian?) they had better be. But I do like them. Not sure how they would do with grease and oil around.

I Love the fact that they are just a "touch heavier than our shorts."

Well every year around the 4th of july, there is a Irish/Scottish fest here. And every year my boss says he will get one for next year. I just might get some Christmas presents. For all.

Ya I wore some jeans once when I was to lazy to do laundry one day. Well I wont do that again, thank god it wasn't in the middle of summer either.

Pretty stylin' pair of pants! $125.00 is still kind of spendy,no?

Chef Wear "scrubs". Light weight, thin elastic band with draw string. I cut mine short for for extra ventilation.

Ive been looking at the chef wear pants for a while now, they seem to be the best option for me! Those camo options are cool! Hadnt thoughtnof scrubs, its a good idea!

I also wear their 3/4 length but I'm a little leary of the exposed shins. I just cut the length of the scrubs to the "high water" mark.

I recently got a pair of these.
IP_3860_46.jpg

they are skulls, and people can't say much about them either, they are just cool looking.

Either dickies, cheap wrangeler cargo pants from wally world, or La police gear tatilite pants. The third probally being the lightest and most breathable, and pretty cheap as well.

I wear the fitted happy chef pants. I don't like baggies, and these are cheap. Though I do wear shorts most days, and a short sleeve jacket, even in the winter. Had my girl hem them up to short length

Last edited:
Back