Quantcast
lightweight breathable pants for work?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lightweight breathable pants for work?

lightweight breathable pants for work?

I work in a kitchen where we can wear anything, as it's a pretty hip place. My coworkers all wear jeans, some super hipster snug. In the dead of summer, it's way too hot to wear jeans when it gets to 40C in a kitchen. What suggestions do you all have? What do you guys wear at work.

I prefer something that is slimmer in profile, normally I wear levi's 511's if that gives an indicator.

Anybody try stuff w/ synthetic fabrics that dry quickly? I'm a big fan of Schoeller Dryskin Extreme, I have a MEC jacket using that fabric. It is super breathable, dries quickly, and repels water quite well.

Right now I alternate between standard checkered cotton chef pants that are mc hammer baggy (like all chef's pants), or these dockers polyester material pants in black.

B&W checkered kilt?

Cargo shorts would be my first pick if you could get away with it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I've been wearing "Dickies" brand work pants for the last 6-7 years in the kitchen.They are by no means "lightweight" or "breathable",but I counter the with a splash of baby powder during the hot summer months.....

I dunno about shorts in a busy kitchen,sounds good but the thought of hot oil or water splashing on my bare legs is just too much...

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Function before fashion bro, especially in the kitchen. You'll outlive your skinny jeans phase and chef pants(houndstooth or black) will always be there(however ugly) waiting for you to embrace them.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    On the non smart-a$$ tip though, I have not tried any of the synthetics you are speaking of. I have some undershirts/wifebeaters, etc made of quick-dry material that I love. Any synthetic pant I've tried tends to stain too easily, and you might have a flammability issue. Maybe, maybe not.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

If you have an REI or large high-end sporting goods store near you, they should have quite a few options.

All of the top outdoor gear companies (north face, mountain hardware, patagonia, arcitrex, etc) are making some version of synthetic, hot weather pants. They're all going to be desined with function and freedom of movement in mind, but some are more "fitted" and snug.
    You should be able to find what you want, just be prepared to spend $60 - $100. If youre an REI memeber, they will replace/exchange anything that you manage to destroy or just decide isnt working out (even after months/years of use).

Check out Gramicci.com. They have nice breathable pants, try either the guide pants or original g pants.

i have some dickies that i wear for work that ive owned since the late 90s. they do seem to last forever although theyve faded quite abit. theyre more comfortable after you break them in some too. but they arent too breathable compared to something like chefwear for instance. im on the lookout for breathable affordable chef pants without the "MC hammer" look as well. i look forward to hearing recommendations!

The Gramicci stuff looks good, I might have to check some of those out. Thanks for the tip.

indeed never heard of gramicci before but they do look nice.