Sandwich ideas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agp

Reaction score
Any ideas what cold sandwiches I can bring to work with me for lunch? I have been just sauteeing vegetables and grilling meats, but that's starting to get old after a few months...

One of my favorite cold sandwiches is .... Meatloaf !!!!

Yeah - Keller is one of my favorites, beautiful books also.

Thanks! I will try some of these next week!

Also, I have lots of home-grown basil and arugula, so if anyone knows recipes that call for lots of either ingredient, I would be happy to try those as well. I have been making lots of basil pesto and arugula pesto, but only eating half of them before they go bad.

Also, I have lots of home-grown basil and arugula, so if anyone knows recipes that call for lots of either ingredient, I would be happy to try those as well. I have been making lots of basil pesto and arugula pesto, but only eating half of them before they go bad.
I have successfully frozen arugula and basil pesto. After thawing, scrape the dookie-brown top off and only use the good green inside. You might lose a lot on the sides as well, but it's nice to have some semi-fresh pesto from your garden out of season.
On the sandwich tip, anything goes. The key would be to bring all the ingredients unassembled. It will taste way better toasted or maybe add some ingredients from your workplace. Try some different cured meats/fishes and use that fresh arugula as the lettuce/greens element. I love the extra dimension of flavor arugula brings to a sammie.

I like to make a sandwich with arugula (or mustard greens), bacon, turkey, red onion, tomato, cheddar, spicy mayo and rosehip (or black currant) jelly. Hmm, knid of makes me want a sandwich for dinner tonight....

My favorite portable sandwhich is a variation on a tuna nicoise: good preserved tuna, olive tapenade, Bibb lettuce, thinly sliced hard boiled eggs, and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano on ciabatta.

Teriyaki chicken sandwich!

or

Fruit sandwitch like these:
6c5b826e1e043818e608f43a7b311a9a.jpg

090622003055.JPG

yum

I just like some nice rustic bread with good salami and cave aged gouda.

The ultimate starch on starch crime - Japanese Potato Salad sandwich! :hungry:

Funny you should ask.
IMG_20120625_130550.jpg

Had a waitress decide to order our cod dinner and just write "as a sandwich" on the ticket. There is a reason we don't have a cod sandwich on the menu.

I love maple turkey and Swiss with vegetable cream cheese (easy to make yourself ) on a cranberry baguette with watercress.

Thanks! I will try some of these next week!

Basil pesto with tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella on ciabatta
Arugula pesto with cold sliced flank steak, grainy mustard and caramelized onions on baguette

i do an asian version of a cuban( beer and pineapple juice braised pork butt, kimchi and melted swiss with spicy chinese mustard) pressed and delicious cold or hot .

we also do a very interesting panini.
honey dijon and whole cumin seed roasted pork loin thin sliced. Yukon gold, scallion, Dijon potato salad . arugula and smoked gouda.
1)take a nice crusty demi loaf and cover the outside with dijon butter.( 1tbl dijon to 1/2 cup softened butter)
2) thin slice the pork loin and lay in a pie pan and thin slice some smoked gouda and melt it in the oven ( this is important, golden brown cheesey crust.
3) place potato salad on bread, then pork cheese layer, then arugula and a little balsamic vinaigrette. place in a press or put in a low saute pan and place another pan on top, cook until golden brown and then vacuum it down your gullet. umm umm. best hot, awesome cold.

i do an asian version of a cuban( beer and pineapple juice braised pork butt, kimchi and melted swiss with spicy chinese mustard) pressed and delicious cold or hot .

we also do a very interesting panini.
honey dijon and whole cumin seed roasted pork loin thin sliced. Yukon gold, scallion, Dijon potato salad . arugula and smoked gouda.
1)take a nice crusty demi loaf and cover the outside with dijon butter.( 1tbl dijon to 1/2 cup softened butter)
2) thin slice the pork loin and lay in a pie pan and thin slice some smoked gouda and melt it in the oven ( this is important, golden brown cheesey crust.
3) place potato salad on bread, then pork cheese layer, then arugula and a little balsamic vinaigrette. place in a press or put in a low saute pan and place another pan on top, cook until golden brown and then vacuum it down your gullet. umm umm. best hot, awesome cold.

Just add beer! :beer:

I'm gonna try this tomorrow.

Back