Quantcast
Cleanliness is Next To.... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleanliness is Next To....

Quote Originally Posted by Uptothehilt View Post
    If you place the blade against the side of the sink with the handle above the rim of the sink the blade can lay flat against the sink. Then you can use some pressure without bending the blade.
    I do this. No issues.

-AJ

soap and warm/hot water. i usually only need to use my hands but a damp cloth can go a long way.

every so often i use a scrubby pad on the handle and re-apply my oil and homemade wax
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    seems like that method provides lots of opportunities to damage your edge. i like to keep my knives away from metal.
    i always keep mine away from metal as well.

i made a sink bridge out of 2x4s and that provides me with flat surfaces if i need them to remove patina or serious sandpaper/fingerstone work
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I had to use the side of the sink today. I was making 50 orders of potato skins. The knife gets a ton of starch build up. Getting a green scrubby is near impossible so I used a towel and the side of the sink. The edge was no were near anything to get messed up. Oh ya and very hot water.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    soap and warm/hot water. i usually only need to use my hands but a damp cloth can go a long way.

every so often i use a scrubby pad on the handle and re-apply my oil and homemade wax
    What kind of oil and wax do use?
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

A big +1 on the cooked potato, like fingerling or mini potato, cutting alot of those by the time you are done, you will have a knife that can't just be wiped off, gotta scrub it. Same if your doing alot of beef and salmon can get sticky, but usually it's easier to keep your knife clean breaking salmon down. I hardly wipe my blade after every potato I cut though, if I did, I would lose my job hehe. At the end of the night, I take my knives to the cappucino machines hot water dispenser and get a yellow/green scrubby and some soap water, I lay my knife flat on the table with the handle off the edge. Scrub the table first of course, or just throw a towel or newspaper down. I guess it's the same as the sideways sink method, just always gone right on the 'metal' table, no scratching or chipping. Tsubaki oil if it's going away for long, but I don't oil my knives generally, just my Doi.

I just clean it with a wet towel and water, then dry it up with a dry one.

At work when I clean up (I'm the closer) I get to find all the knives stashed away that have not been cleaned all day... joy... they have stopped listening to me about knife care... I have a small butcher block (poly) that I set on the side of the sink and use to add pressure to the towel on the blade. I set the edge on the block and rub off the gunk that doesn't soak off. Dexter get this treatment every night just because it's so heavy that one slip and a normal wiping will pass right through the towel

+ Reply to Thread