Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: who makes the hardest white steel laser?

  1. #11
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    2,363
    i dont think what youre looking for exists, white steel may have poor edge stability no matter how its treated. maybe look at a Marko carbon laser?

  2. #12
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,702
    i have some difficulty typing, as i broke my right hand tonight: i have had an have other white steel knives that haven't had the issue that the one knife had, so i think it can exist. if the Tadatsunas are as hard as Gator reported, and i tend to trust him, that should do it.

  3. #13
    its my experience that the tadatsunas are no harder than the other monosteel white #2 knives we commonly see

  4. #14
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    its my experience that the tadatsunas are no harder than the other monosteel white #2 knives we commonly see
    ok, then. thanks Jon! are there knives, including Marko's thinner knives, that are lasers in different steels? i can always just use the Kono suji, as it is tall enough, at least for right now.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    sachem allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    3,976
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i have some difficulty typing, as i broke my right hand tonight: i have had an have other white steel knives that haven't had the issue that the one knife had, so i think it can exist. if the Tadatsunas are as hard as Gator reported, and i tend to trust him, that should do it.
    hope your hand heals fine.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

  6. #16
    I am not big fan of lasers, mainly because I don't like flex at the handle, and at 2mm thickness, some flex is unavailable.

    I do however like when a knife transitions from a full thickness at the handle to 2.5-3mm over the heel, and from there, it gets progressively thinner, with about 1.5mm 2" from the tip and about 2mm half the way on the spine. With proper geometry, mid section is thin, and above the edge is very thin. For me this would be a laser.

    As I mentioned before, high hardness is often accompanied with brittleness and not very stable edge (chips), and one has to set bevels or microbevels at more obtuse angle to address chipping. A steel with good wear resistance is plenty hard at 62-63RC, and in this hardness range, the edge is pretty stable and edge retention is excellent.


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  7. #17
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I am not big fan of lasers, mainly because I don't like flex at the handle, and at 2mm thickness, some flex is unavailable.

    I do however like when a knife transitions from a full thickness at the handle to 2.5-3mm over the heel, and from there, it gets progressively thinner, with about 1.5mm 2" from the tip and about 2mm half the way on the spine. With proper geometry, mid section is thin, and above the edge is very thin. For me this would be a laser.

    As I mentioned before, high hardness is often accompanied with brittleness and not very stable edge (chips), and one has to set bevels or microbevels at more obtuse angle to address chipping. A steel with good wear resistance is plenty hard at 62-63RC, and in this hardness range, the edge is pretty stable and edge retention is excellent.
    i know exactly what i'm asking for when i ask for a hard laser.

  8. #18
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,702
    hey Marko, your inbox is full, so i'll just say thanks for the kind words, here!

  9. #19
    Senior Member Johnny.B.Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,936
    Take care of that hand Edipis. Ouch.

    What did you punch?

  10. #20
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good

    What did you punch?
    the wall that was in the way of my falling. not sexy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •