Quantcast
who makes the hardest white steel laser?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: who makes the hardest white steel laser?

who makes the hardest white steel laser?

i recently traded a Yoshikane V2 kitaeji for a Konosuke suji and petty, and those knives make me want to get a laser gyuto again. i used to own a Konosuke white 2 gyuto and the main thing wrong with it, other than a bit more belly than i like, was that it seemed much softer than my Shigefusa or my then Akifusa gyutos, which are my benchmarks. the Masamoto KS i owned seemed to hold an edge better than the Kono, and i believe those are nominally the same hardness on the same steel. my current carbon gyutos (two Takedas, a Shig and a Kochi) are much thinner at the edge than the Konosuke gyuto was, but they never roll over the way the Kono gyuto did (the Kono suji, which i've been using as a general purpose knife, hasn't had the issue, so maybe i just got a bad Kono gyuto, or they have changed things). assuming that my Konosuke gyuto experience was average, are there any companies making lasers who are hardening past 62? on Gator's site the Tadatsuna is listed at higher than that, but it's the only time i've seen Tadatsuna HRC values listed, so i'm not sure if it's correct or not (no offense, Gator, i just want confirmation). i don't abuse my knives, and i cut in a way that minimizes board contact as much as possible, so maybe i did just have a bum knife (i sold the Kono to a friend, and he hasn't had any problems that he has mentioned, but he sharpens every day). any ideas?

Carter's white #1 knives are quoted at 63-64. They get remarkably sharp, and are quite thin.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

clad knives aren't what i'm looking at, as i have plenty. thanks, though.

How about white shell honyaki, something like this? JBroida said one time that a white III honyaki has its place in kitchen knife world.

a lot more than i want to spend, and it's my impression that honyaki blades aren't lasers (the one honkaki gyuto i've used certainly wasn't). thanks, though.

That honyaki is listed 2.8 within the same range as masa KS, although it is a shorty.

Perhaps, you can try a custom heat treatment order via Ashi hamono or Sakai yusuke.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I'm not sure how close to a laser this would be. I just looked and a Tanaka is listed at 63+. I know my santoku was listed at 65. Hope this helps.
    Chewie's the man.

Is White steel a must? Hard often implies brittle (and chippy).

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I just realized Tanaka uses blue.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Is White steel a must? Hard often implies brittle (and chippy).

M
    i haven't seen lasers in anything but stainless, which i don't want, or white. i don't want anything over 2mms or so, as i have plenty of non lasers.