Quantcast
Usaba v Nakiri - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Usaba v Nakiri

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    usuba is used for katsuramuki, ken cuts, tournes, garnish work, slicing veggies, cutting negi, sasagaki, and similar tasks in professional environments (high volume and not)
    Valued point. I use my Usuba almost exclusively for cucumber and daikon katsuramuki. Most other veggie tasks I use my Nakiri. And I must be completely off the map, because the few times I've tried traditional sasagaki I used a petty....

a very slight curve up at the tip of a kamagata usuba (about a mm or so) is pretty common and helps out with some common techniques
    I did not know that. I'm craving a usuba badly right now my Kiritsuke suffices for now though luckily

VERY SLIGHT... i should take a picture of one of mine one of these days to show what i mean

a very slight curve up at the tip of a kamagata usuba (about a mm or so) is pretty common and helps out with some common techniques
    Yes John when I decided went with the Kamagata,I like the looks of the drop nose as well.I like using & sharpening it.When I got my first yanagi almost 10 yrs. ago,I went to two diff. Japan Trained Sushi Chefs before I even touched it to the stones.It was the most expensive blade I had bought up to that time & did not want to screw it up.

You can mess up a Japan SB using uneven stones.Over flattening the backside hollow grind(Urasuki)is a common mistake,that lessens the effectiveness of the Urasuke.

The guys I learned from do not use a blended or micro bevel.The single bevel shinogi line meeting the hollow gr. backside wt high quality White & Blue carbon steels makes for edges unsurpassed in other knives.

If you are used to western knives,the Nikiri might be a better choice.If you do decide to go wt. a Japan SB,you must take the time to learn how to sharpen it first.I have seen persons on forums knocking Chiharu Sugai's Korin DVD.I think it is unfair the problem is much of it is in Japanese & some is lost in translation.There is alot of excellent information If you watch what he is doing.The tech for Yanagi translates over to Deba & Usuba.I am sure it is the same wt. the Kiritsuke tho I have never sharpened one of those yet.

When I'm using my usuba for higher volume (at home only) it is used for fine dice, nothing thick at all. Thin slicing is what I see an usuba specialty, whether it be sheets or just fine dice. When I fine dice with my nakiri's I end up with alot stuck to the blade not so much on the usuba, but being a very coarse KU finish I don't expect anything to stick to my usuba

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Knyfnerd, Your right on the money with your feedback. I bought a blue #2 hon Kasumi Usuba about six months ago and use it just like you mentioned. There is nothing better for slicing garlic, absolute transparent slices. also good point, its not supposed to a bang bang bang on the board either. I've watched Jon's Usuba video maybe a hundred times (might be the best video out there). Notice how Udae cuts green onions with almost no board banging. Just a little kiss of the blade on the board. Its a fun knife to use and i'm trying to get the most from it. heck cost me $250, she aint going to sit around and get fat in my houshold. Get to work i say.

How's the verdict for your usuba grind and build?

Lets say that, I've had enough drama with my knife pursuits to host three seasons of prime time for FOX. But the Usuba has excellent primary and secondary grind. Can be sharpened as a single should, shinogi is strait. Deba, Had to put a micro bevel on the back maybe 5% of the right side good primary and secondary, been polishing with my fingerstones. Like I know what the hell i'm doing but it feels good.

I'm also having some drama with my Yusuke White 210 Guy Ultrathin too. I'm not going to comment further until I hear from Keiichi.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I think about this all the time, best office moment ever. But the idea of an Usuba on a griddle makes me cringe nonetheless.

It is a Nakiri, though.