Dinner without a stove/fire

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agp

Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas of something fancy to make for dinner when you do not have a stove or fire (or any form of heat, other than microwave)? I might have fire gel tins and some stone bowls that can be heated, but that will be the most I will have. I am going away for vacation next weekend and would like to make some food for dinner one night. I can premake any sauce the night before and just keep it in a cooler, but that's about all the advanced prepping I can do.
Sushi/sashimi/nigiri will be a last reserve... Any ideas are welcome!

I don't want to reserve to sandwiches for dinner, but if I have to I will.

PS: I will have access to fresh seafood at this place.

Ceviche is a great idea. Anyone know if it is possible to smoke/cold smoke raw seafood with cigar smoke?

Ceviche sounds good - I think I'll get some scallops and shrimp today and make some.

Nope, no camp fire. I want to try cold smoking seafood with a cigar too, any thoughts? I might do a practice run today and tomorrow and report back...

Nope, no camp fire. I want to try cold smoking seafood with a cigar too, any thoughts? I might do a practice run today and tomorrow and report back...

I dunno, I think it might end up tasting like an ashtray. What kind of cigar? Tobacco is poisonous.

It's just wood chips do not come in the form of a stick that I can stick into whatever container I have. I was thinking of a ceviche in a coconut shell, so if I smoke that ceviche/fish I would need something in a shape that I can work with.

You, being a cigar smoker might not realize this, but cigar smoke really stinks.

Besides plating in a half coconut shelf, are there any other creative ways to plate ceviche without a bowl?

Just thinking out loud here:

Rice stick noodles will hydrate in warm water.
Dry salami doesn't need refrigeration.

Perhaps a pasta salad of sorts?
Throw in some onion, celery, carrot, bell pepper and toss with a dressing of your choice.

[video=youtube_share;bzfRjDd-ufk]http://youtu.be/bzfRjDd-ufk[/video]

How about some Cheese dip and some pretoasted baguette topped with whatever you like for bruschetta. Did some balsamic strawberries and goatcheese last weekend that was good.

Love the prep, though very little time in the citrus. Always a tough call....some fish needs a good amount of time, some no more than the time it takes to stir the bowl.

When making ceviche, should I wash the slime off of the seafood first and then dry it, or not dry it? Or not even wash it if the seafood is recently caught?

Oh and is it safe to use raw shrimps and scallops for ceviche without first cooking them a little?

Oh and is it safe to use raw shrimps and scallops for ceviche without first cooking them a little?
Absolutely. You are using acid to denature ("cook") the proteins and to produce a bacteria- unfriendly environment; the same goal as using heat

Back