Catcheside cutlery - Kitchen knife making/Damascus courses.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
Hello all, I have had a few enquiries via the net generally about one on one courses, a couple from the States. I am thinking of setting up a page on my site advertising custom one on one courses.
Courses could be completely custom to what someone wants to learn or produce.
Some options and themes could be.

Basic Damascus and san mai- 2 day minimum
Advanced Mosaic damascus - 1 week minimum
Make you own kitchen knife, covering all aspects form material production to sharpening. 5 days blade only or 8 days with handle making.
Forging - damascus forks/spoons.

Courses would be completely custom to your skill level, with me doing more or less of the work. As a loose example, for a complete novice on a one week course. I would demonstrate more advanced techniques working on a full scale chef knife in full damascus.
Your personal goal for the week could be to produce a smaller blade in San mai, under my guidance.
So ideally you would go away with 2 completely finished blades to handle or I can offer the handling service and send them on.

That would be quite a neat package, or basic handling could be covered in a further 3 day extension to the course.

Courses would be £350/day or £1500 per week, (5 working day) plus a small fee for the cost of materials depending on what you want to make and take away with you, that keeps me covered for the more advanced patterns, which can be rather material hungry.

There is some great accommodation in the area. Offering B&B and superb food. Broome farm is one just down the road. Its a cider farm and one of the nicest and friendliest places to eat, (and drink) in the county.

My parents next door also could offer B&B and I can prepare the evening meal at mine. This could be an extra chance to try out some knives and probably break the stones out.:wink:

What do you think? would any of you be interested an experience like this?:)

One thing I can't control is the weather, but who cares when you have a hot forge.:D

I am located in Peterstow, Ross on wye, Herefordshire, uk, in very lovely countryside.

My workshop is more industrial in its location and is a short drive away in Rotherwas industrial estate in Hereford.

Sounds like a great time. But to much for my blood.

I can't think of worse vacations to take, £1500 for two knives, a once in a lifetime experience, and invaluble knowledge seems fair but when you add airfare and lodging quickly becomes impractical. But for a local or someone with more scratch it sounds like a great idea.

Yes, its a fair bit of dosh. Thats kind of the reality for 1 on 1 workshop time. If i did a class would be much cheaper but i'm not really set up for that. Could have 2 people possibly and split the fee.

Back