Quantcast
Can never seem to get my knives sharp enough (Victorinox)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can never seem to get my knives sharp enough (Victorinox)

Can never seem to get my knives sharp enough (Victorinox)

I have 2 sharpening tools.

One is this:

Which is damaging my knives and taking out the metal of them.

Im not sure how hard i should be pressing down?

But i always use quite a lot of force.

Then this:

Which i dont think is diamond.

I'm not quite sure what i should be using in order to keep my knives sharp which doesnt damage them?

Can anyone recommend what i should use?

I mainly collect victorinox... all these sharpeners are doing is damaging the knives.

Do i need a steel which has diamonds in or an electric sharpener?

Also how hard do i press when i sharpen and what angle do i sharpen at?

Thanks guys.

Mart.

The easy answer is to get yourself a 500 grit stone to reset those bevels and then a 1-3k stone to finish your edges. Probably the more realistic and convenient solution is to use a Chef's Choice. Get one with a fine wheel and a stropping wheel. If your edges are totally destroyed, start with the coarse for just a pass or two. Then go to the fine and stropping. Never again use your coarse wheel. You can use your steel to touch up. When that doesn't work well, go to the strop. If that does not work, go to the fine while then back to the strop. Oh, and do not strike your steel rod with your knife and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    The easy answer is to get yourself a 500 grit stone to reset those bevels and then a 1-3k stone to finish your edges. Probably the more realistic and convenient solution is to use a Chef's Choice. Get one with a fine wheel and a stropping wheel. If your edges are totally destroyed, start with the coarse for just a pass or two. Then go to the fine and stropping. Never again use your coarse wheel. You can use your steel to touch up. When that doesn't work well, go to the strop. If that does not work, go to the fine while then back to the strop. Oh, and do not strike your steel rod with your knife and vice versa.
    Wow! ok thank u.

Will look into that.

TBH i would much rather go for the Chef's Choice after seeing them on ebay.
    Would u pls be able to recommend a particular model number?

I was looking at these:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BUTCHERS-...ht_1511wt_1396

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BUTCHERS-...ht_1408wt_1396

they do mention stropping but not fine im wondering if these would do fine anyway?

Do u know if i would be able to get one from the states to work on 240 volts?

Thank u

I second the suggestion of the ChefsChoice. Great machines for people that lack hand sharpening skills and don't have the time or desire to learn them.

Hi there

Yes this seems best suited to me i think.
    Is there a particular model i should go for?

Thanks

Btw i cant seem to find the 500 grit stones anywhere i can find 400 whetstones but struggling to find the 500's.

Are u able to guide me?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyk View Post
    Btw i cant seem to find the 500 grit stones anywhere i can find 400 whetstones but struggling to find the 500's.

Are u able to guide me?

Thank you.
    You can consider 400 and 500 grit the same for all practical purposes.

Rick

My Chef's Choice was so bad it actually led me to finding forums like this to find a better way!

I would search this and other forums for insight into how others are sharpening.

Your victorinox would be great knives to learn on. When you see how sharp you can get them you will probably be moving on to a greater "expense" of knives

Glen

Holy moly, I never looked up how much a Chef's Choice is. I would not drop that much cash on a sharpening machine. Sharpening isn't that hard.

For your Victorinox knives, assuming you just want to sharpen them and do not want to get better knives, here's the low budget option:
    1. get yourself one of these. Doesn't matter which brand, just something coarse so you can grind a new edge in.
    2. Get a honing rod, like the 1200 grit Idahone Rod.
    3. Buy one more sharpening stone. Whichever one you feel like. It truly does not matter which, just make sure it's 1,000-2,000 grit. Some common suggestions are the King 1000, Bester 1200(my pick), and Naniwa Aotoshi. You are out less than 100 bucks, and you can throw those other things(the pull-through and the steel rod) away. You are set for life, unless you decide to drop some bigger dollars on knives.

You can sharpen your knives, I assure you. It's not like performing Lasik surgery.

+1 to everything Eamon said. Freehand sharpening is a very rewarding activity and frankly, with enough practice, you can get your knives much sharper by hand than by using the chef's choice.

[/QUOTE]You can sharpen your knives, I assure you. It's not like performing Lasik surgery.[/QUOTE]

Even Lasik surgery ain't that hard