Quantcast
2k-4K and coarse stone recommendation ?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2k-4K and coarse stone recommendation ??

The Gesshin 400 is my pick for a coarse stone. I don't know that it's going to be a ton faster than the Beston though. It is a much nicer stone to use. I would go with a coarse diamond stone for beyond that. If you have a 1k stone that you like, I would recommend Gesshin 4k. I don't think a 2k or 3k stone will offer as much for your performance as a 4-6k stone. I also like the Rika 5k stone. Personally, I tend to use the Gesshin 5k. It isn't a fast stone but I don't need much done other than a touch of refinement on my ~1k edge.

I like the Gesshin 2K.It's the stone I use the most.The Bester 1200 & 5K Rika are a good combo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i use a DMT XC when i need a faster stone than my Beston 500, and it works great.

For blade damage and the similar situations? Or do you like the edge it leaves on certain knives more so...?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyChai View Post
    For blade damage and the similar situations? Or do you like the edge it leaves on certain knives more so...?
    this is for taking out chips and doing major blade reworking.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    this is for taking out chips and doing major blade reworking.
    Figured. Personally, have asked someone with a belt sander in these cases for help, or have used a low grit belt on a flat surface for economic purposes. Makes perfect sense to use the XC though, the smaller ones are fairly inexpensive.

Also you do not risk heat damage.The XXC DMT works for reprofiling edge,chips,broken tips,the usual stuff that happens fr. lack of knife care.

They do take off steel fast,leave a rough finish,then you remove the scratches wt. a couple stones.I like the Atoma 140 for knife repair & rapid steel removal.