Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initial Coarse Belt Scratches - How to Remove Question

Thanks. I will try some of the methods you mentioned. I have heard from another maker that the old school guys would grind with 50 grit and then go to 400 and eventually mirror finish.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

As a newbie to grinding I keep the grit progression tight.I used a blaze 50-80-120 then norax 100-65-45 then hand sand 400 & 600 before i etched.Del gave me the advice of tilting the blade so i had no issues with my last knife.

Marco
    Other than getting the scratches out on the grinder, one thing I was turned onto a couple of years ago is Mobile 1 engine oil for sanding. I dont have a clue why it works, but it does. Put a few drops on the blade while sanding, and the material seems to float off the blade. It cut my hand sanding time to almost half. Again I cant explaine why it works, only that it works very well for me.

God Bless
    Mike

+1 on the Mobil 1

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

The little EDM stones are good for chasing scratches. The suggestion of grinding at a slightly different angle to see if you have gotten rid of the bigger scratches is a good one. Usually, the only place that you can
    t do that is up by the plunge cuts and that is where the EDM stones come in really handy. They are also good for getting the scratches right out on the tip where you might be afraid to grind to aggressively.

I use WD40 for oil stones and wet/dry paper. A small spray can is convenient and tidy.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig