Quantcast
Petty, Deba or chef? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petty, Deba or chef?

Are you saying that you couldn't find any 180mm Gyutos or didn't find any that you liked? If it is the former here is a link: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HDSeries.html.

A Kramer is similar to a very thin Nakiri with an even thinner tip. The Nakiri has a long relatively flat edge. It will have more of its edge in contact with the board then a larger Gyuto. Typically there are also thin knifes, so they will easily glide through veggies. The lack of a tip is noticeable when trying to trim proteins or following the curve of a round fruit. It can be done, its just a bit awkward.

A larger version of a petty, would be a Sujihiki. There are available in 180mm.

Improved suggestions could be made, if there was a better understanding of why you are looking for a larger heel, is it for knuckle clearance, wanting a chopping knife or ...?

Jay

I cut myself on the heel. Not badly, but I seem to be grabbing it in such a way that my index finger grabs the shallow heel...the blade part.

P.S. No stainless. White or blue #2 (I think that's what you call them.) Once i learned to sharpen my Blue steel Petty it's my go-to knife. And holds the edge. I am looking at the boning knives. I like the point, and relief at the heel.

This is also the type of situation that often leads people to making their first custom knife order...
    A knife this size shouldn't be too terribly expensive and there are plenty of makers and hobbyist folks on here that I'm sure could make your dreams come true for a very reasonable price. I know that WillC of Catchside has some blue #2 steel, but frankly, I think that any good carbon still, properly HT'ed will make you happy. W2 and 01 both behave very similarly to Hitachi steels in terms of ease of sharpening and insane edge potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_cutter View Post
    How did you cut yourself on the Moritaka? Did you nick yourself on the pointy edge of the heel? I nicked myself a time or two on my Fujiwara petty that way, and then very slightly dulled the heel on a coarse stone and haven't had a problem since. I probably lost .25mm of edge or something like that. Funny, the Fujiwara petty came with the heel sharper than the tip!
    Welcome Colorado Cutter!

Did the same to my Carter nakiri because it kept digging into the board...bad technique!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Welcome Colorado Cutter.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis7490 View Post
    P.S. No stainless. White or blue #2 (I think that's what you call them.) Once i learned to sharpen my Blue steel Petty it's my go-to knife. And holds the edge. I am looking at the boning knives. I like the point, and relief at the heel.
    I believe the Misono Swedish carbon has a nice variety of smaller sized gyuto's, though I have not used them.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I vote for a Stephan Fowler petty, some of his are taller, I have a 210 that I use for everything, he makes pretty much any size, little bit pricier than Moritakas though. If you got the money, a Carter Funayuki is always a good choice.

I don't know how you feel about the finish level, but sounds like that little Tosa bocho from Zakuri at JKI would be a good choice too. Same rustic feel as the moritaka, nice Blue#1 steel, and excellent price tag hehe.

Watanabe? blue/stainless kuro-uchi petty? Definitely a "petit gyuto".

http://*******.com/d2wx2gx

+ Reply to Thread