Smallish utility - Fujiwara?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a small utility knife in the 120 to 150mm range. I've been using my Suisin inox 210 gyuto a fair amount when I want a smaller knife, and I have an old Miyabi fusion utility knife (150 ish I think) that I'm not that fond of. I don't like the small western handle on the Miyabi, and the blade has no height.

I'll admit I'm drooling over the Fujiwara Denko No Hoto at JWW, but it seems pricey and I can't tell how tall the blade is at the heel. Anyone with experience with these...are they worth the price? The other utility that looks 'tallish' is the Asai AS at EE. And of course I love the Gengetsu line from Jon.

FWIW, I use the smaller knives for decorative garnish, fruit supremes etc. Thanks for any thoughts!

I'd give Jon a call and see if he has anything that suits your needs...he's super helpful, and may suggest something you haven't thought of yet...

I have a 4.6 sun (165mm) HG Carter Funy that I love. I would think the Gengetsu or possibly the Geshin Uraku would suit you. I would talk to Jon.

I'd give Jon a call and see if he has anything that suits your needs...he's super helpful, and may suggest something you haven't thought of yet...

Yep - discussion with Jon is certainly planned...last two discussions ended with Gengetsu purchases...so it might be just exploring options before the inevitable :D

I don't know what kind of profile you have in mind, but like a lot Robert Herder's K2HRC60, a mini-santoku of some 115mm. See my avatar to get an idea. Great for herbs, garlic, small quantities of vegetables.

Back