Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Haslinger Teaser!

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    hmm something wrong with pics.
    Sorry, I guess there was some problem with the links from the mobile app. Admin, please delete the above blank post: edit timer has expired for me.
    Name:  20111119_161651.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  15.7 KB
    Name:  20111119_161312.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  15.2 KB
    Name:  20111119_162402.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  8.3 KB

*EDIT: GAH! I'm too slow! Eamon beat me too it! I guess you can delete this post too...

If a few days pop up at the end of the line for me I'd love to give it a try.
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Toss in some of that coffee, and you're in at the end hahaha. Just kidding. There's actually one last spot open, so you can be last.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Awesome, Looking forward to it! Thank you. I'm at the end of the line with yeah twice now, I could probly do that

I've had this knife since last Friday afternoon. It got a pretty good workout over the weekend, as we hosted a dinner Friday night that had a bit of prep involved, and I hacked up a nice variety of ingredients for a pizza dinner for Fathers' Day. My initial inpression upon unpacking was Thomas has his stuff together aesthetics-wise. The handle is beautiful, and the lines on the knife are kinda sexy. My wife fell in love with it -- it's the first passaround knife we've had where she liked the length, weight, balance and handle.

Previous reviews in this thread already hit on all my high points, which mainly were: 1) I'd like to see the balance point moved just a little more forward, 2) the flat grind led to a bit of sticking, 3) the thickness above the heel had me mainly using the half of the knife towards the tip, 4) it was in between a slicer and a gyuto. I really liked the thinness at the tip, which was great for mincing garlic. The front half of the blade was great for slicing onions, but the back half did not work as well due to thickness/ wedging; as a result, I altered my technique to more closely mimic slicing. I suspect a 240 would do better; with a 210 there just is not enough useable length for the way the blade is ground to suit my taste/ cutting style.

There are a lot of aspects of this knife that I really liked. The knife felt good in my hand, but as someone already said it did not fully translate to the board -- probably due to the balance point not being far enough forward. I think with some changes to his grind (i.e., add some convexity and a longer 'flat' area) Thomas would have a really great knife. I don't know if he will want to change anything though, as some (like my wife) would be happy for a long time with this, as they like more handle-heavy knives.

I will use it a couple more nights and then send it on down the line. I don't think I will need to try and sharpen before I send it, as it still has a nice endge and only needs a little stropping.

Lefty, thanks for doing this. I have to admit I like the knife more in person then I thought I would based on pics.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Previous reviews in this thread already hit on all my high points, which mainly were: 1) I'd like to see the balance point moved just a little more forward, 2) the flat grind led to a bit of sticking, 3) the thickness above the heel had me mainly using the half of the knife towards the tip, 4) it was in between a slicer and a gyuto. I really liked the thinness at the tip, which was great for mincing garlic. The front half of the blade was great for slicing onions, but the back half did not work as well due to thickness/ wedging; as a result, I altered my technique to more closely mimic slicing. I suspect a 240 would do better; with a 210 there just is not enough useable length for the way the blade is ground to suit my taste/ cutting style.

There are a lot of aspects of this knife that I really liked. The knife felt good in my hand, but as someone already said it did not fully translate to the board -- probably due to the balance point not being far enough forward. I think with some changes to his grind (i.e., add some convexity and a longer 'flat' area) Thomas would have a really great knife. I don't know if he will want to change anything though, as some (like my wife) would be happy for a long time with this, as they like more handle-heavy knives.
    Thomas is paying attention to all of our comments and has learned A LOT from all of this.
    In fact, he appreciates all of this so much that we are currently figuring out a way to get this knife in the hands of someone who will really appreciate it, while helping to give back to KKF.

Stay tuned
    09/06

So, Edipis, do you have the knife yet???
    09/06

He got it yesterday. Hopefully he has started to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    So, Edipis, do you have the knife yet???
    sorry, forgot to post in this thread! yes, i got it yesterday, and i've been using it.

Just arrived today. Lefty's next correct?