Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Brooklyn pass around.....

Quote Originally Posted by tgraypots View Post

Rick, what are your thoughts on the CB knife?
    My first impression on taking it out of its saya was that it is solidly built. There are no visible gaps between tang and scales, and the mosaic pins add a bit of “bling” to an otherwise plain knife. The spine was not rounded, but the sharp edges were broken and “finger friendly”.

The profile is reminiscent of the Haslinger chef’s knife that was passed around recently, but when comparing geometry, the Haslinger had more pronounced distal taper, and its tip was thinner. The Haslinger was more comfortable because of its rounded scales.

I did not sharpen the knife, only stropped it to refresh the edge.

It performed very well on carrots, bell peppers and scallions; less well on “taller” foods like Vidalia onions and potatoes. It needs to be thinned behind the edge to really cut well. I noted moderate stiction.

I would have to say that the Cut Brooklyn is competent, but not exceptional. Is it a good value? There are many other knives that are better performers for the same price or less.
    In the end, the knife failed to ignite any strong desire in me to own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    My first impression on taking it out of its saya was that it is solidly built. There are no visible gaps between tang and scales, and the mosaic pins add a bit of “bling” to an otherwise plain knife. The spine was not rounded, but the sharp edges were broken and “finger friendly”.

The profile is reminiscent of the Haslinger chef’s knife that was passed around recently, but when comparing geometry, the Haslinger had more pronounced distal taper, and its tip was thinner. The Haslinger was more comfortable because of its rounded scales.

I did not sharpen the knife, only stropped it to refresh the edge.

It performed very well on carrots, bell peppers and scallions; less well on “taller” foods like Vidalia onions and potatoes. It needs to be thinned behind the edge to really cut well. I noted moderate stiction.

I would have to say that the Cut Brooklyn is competent, but not exceptional. Is it a good value? There are many other knives that are better performers for the same price or less.
    that's really just about exactly what i expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I wish we had one of his "Journeyman" series knives to try side by side with this one...

Do you think a change in profile might change your overall assessment of the knife Rick? (All other things being equal.)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    I wish we had one of his "Journeyman" series knives to try side by side with this one...

Do you think a change in profile might change your overall assessment of the knife Rick? (All other things being equal.)
    It isn't so much the profile as the geometry. One of the foods I cut to assess a knife is a lemon, a sort of "acid test", if you'll pardon the pun. I trim the ends, then halve the lemon pole-to-pole. If the geometry isn't up to par, the blade just doesn't go through easily.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one. Those of us in a vicarious learning scenario want to know.

+1 Very informative thread. Tom, P-tiger any other thoughts? Help's others really understand what makes a knife GOOD.

Eamon's had it since last Tuesday, so I guess we're waiting on his input.

Indeed

I keep forgetting to use the damn thing. I have it though, and will be done with it shortly.

If a Hasslinger has more distal taper than the CB, I can only imagine what it weighs? Is it a hefty knife?