Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would your chefs knife pass the ABS Master Smith Test?

Would your chefs knife pass the ABS Master Smith Test?

Hi all! I was just thinking about the sharpness and edge durability of my knives and then I remembered the wicked American Bladesmith Society Master Smith Test. I don't know if I want to try it out on my knife but I'm quite skeptical if the Japanese blades I have would pass the test.
    In a brief the test requires to cut a 1 inch thick hanging rope with one stroke and then two pieces of 2x4 lumber have to be chopped in half - after this the knife has to be shaving sharp and free of any nicks.

And my Tanaka Kurouchi gets dull after cutting an onion! Ok the knife was $40 on eBay but what do you guys think - would our japanese knives also pass? Or only the good expensive ones?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    most knives wont pass that test. Even from master smiths. It is just a test to show if you know how to forge to a certain extent. There is a few threads on here that I have read, and that is the gist I got form them. I'm sure more will contribute. I will go do some looking for some links. It is a really great read.
    Chewie's the man.

I wouldn't want a chefs knife that could pass the test.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    here is a few
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ghlight=kramer
    These are about the test.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ht=mastersmith
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ght=new+kramer
    the last one talks about what you were asking. The posts are very cool reads and very informative.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by andur View Post
    Hi all! I was just thinking about the sharpness and edge durability of my knives and then I remembered the wicked American Bladesmith Society Master Smith Test. I don't know if I want to try it out on my knife but I'm quite skeptical if the Japanese blades I have would pass the test.
    In a brief the test requires to cut a 1 inch thick hanging rope with one stroke and then two pieces of 2x4 lumber have to be chopped in half - after this the knife has to be shaving sharp and free of any nicks.

And my Tanaka Kurouchi gets dull after cutting an onion! Ok the knife was $40 on eBay but what do you guys think - would our japanese knives also pass? Or only the good expensive ones?
    The tests are designed to gauge the skill of the smith, not the knife.

[QUOTE=obtuse;127592]I wouldn't want a chefs knife that could pass the test.[/QUOTE

Why??

I have a Tanaka Kurouchi Nakiri and it takes and holds a great edge?? Dunno what went wrong with yours!

Cutting rope, fine, but hacking through a 2x4 or bending to 90 degrees doesn't really matter to me that much. I'd rather have a thing, light, hard J knife to cut food with than a larger, thicker knife to meet these design specs.

[QUOTE=shankster;127599]
    Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I wouldn't want a chefs knife that could pass the test.[/QUOTE

Why??
    It wouldn't make a very good kitchen knife.

Probably not but more so because I think most of the knives that we buy are not forged. Stamped knives (none of which we buy) and cut knives can't pass those tests.

-AJ

I find it's very cool that an edge can be made to take a beating and still be shaving sharp! I've not sharpened my deba for months and it's still a razor (I don't cook fish every day but still). I think the deba could pass the chopping/shaving test but not the bend
    The santokus and chefs knives I use won't hold a shaving edge that long. I'd like to be able to chop veggies with no fear of dulling the edge too much. Better knives and better sharpening for me then?