Quantcast
Cooking with My New Knives - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Cooking with My New Knives

  1. #11
    Sponsors Sara@JKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    361
    thank you guys ! So happy I have so much support here I'm super happy with the choice I made - Gesshin Ginga knives are such a joy to use. I also used my wa-petty at work today, pealing a tomato with it.... it did such a great work.

    well.. well.... that's the moment I noticed that there's no going back. I was cutting/pealing a tomato just because I wanted to test my knife. I will only get nerdier from here about knives....

    My finger mustache is the sign of my pride!

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    470
    I hate tomatoes, but I bought 2, 4 packs one day just to do the tomato cutting test where you take slices off of the top without holding the tomato

  3. #13
    Senior Member Miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Deep in the heart of a Texas kitchen
    Posts
    516
    Great looking food! Glad you're enjoying your knives so much. Fine choices too!

  4. #14
    Senior Member Crothcipt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Posts
    3,501
    The best reason to make salsa.
    Chewie's the man.

  5. #15
    Sponsors Sara@JKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    361
    When I start cutting stuff just so I can use my knives, our dinner table will always have the following: curry, salsa, chopped salad, gyoza (prepared without using a food processor), nabe, and temakizushi. Not a bad deal at all.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rockport, TX
    Posts
    4,892
    Nice! When are you getting them rehandled?

  7. #17
    Sponsors Sara@JKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    361
    I don't think I will re-handle them. I like the idea of having simple but elegant handles on my knives.... plus, ho handles shrink over years (if you take good care), instead of cracking When I wear out those handles, my skill-set might deserve something else. But my new knives are fairly simple ones, and I don't want to put crazy handles on them either (even if I could) - I think that won't be a good balance on the whole. Blades and handles should resonate, not cause strange dissonance.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara@JKI View Post
    I don't think I will re-handle them. I like the idea of having simple but elegant handles on my knives.... plus, ho handles shrink over years (if you take good care), instead of cracking When I wear out those handles, my skill-set might deserve something else. But my new knives are fairly simple ones, and I don't want to put crazy handles on them either (even if I could) - I think that won't be a good balance on the whole. Blades and handles should resonate, not cause strange dissonance.
    I agree. There is a beauty in the original and utilitarian handle/knife that cannot be beaten by something more glossy. My work knives are Shigefusa and I would never think of changing them.

  9. #19
    Sponsors Sara@JKI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Sack of lemons View Post
    I agree. There is a beauty in the original and utilitarian handle/knife that cannot be beaten by something more glossy. My work knives are Shigefusa and I would never think of changing them.
    Yes... I can't agree with you more, especially about your comments about the elegance in the original and utilitarian handle/knife part. Of course there is right place and time for unique and original handles as well, but I value the functional beauty aspect of Japanese knives a lot. On top of that, I'm really new to learning the use of knives, so as a new student I think it's wise to keep the original handle/knife for now.

  10. #20
    Sponsors
    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara@JKI View Post
    thank you guys ! So happy I have so much support here I'm super happy with the choice I made - Gesshin Ginga knives are such a joy to use. I also used my wa-petty at work today, pealing a tomato with it.... it did such a great work.

    well.. well.... that's the moment I noticed that there's no going back. I was cutting/pealing a tomato just because I wanted to test my knife. I will only get nerdier from here about knives....

    My finger mustache is the sign of my pride!
    here's a picture of sara peeling a tomato


    *sorry for the odd rotation

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts