Quantcast
Cooking with My New Knives - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooking with My New Knives

thank you guys ! So happy I have so much support here I'm super happy with the choice I made - Gesshin Ginga knives are such a joy to use. I also used my wa-petty at work today, pealing a tomato with it.... it did such a great work.

well.. well.... that's the moment I noticed that there's no going back. I was cutting/pealing a tomato just because I wanted to test my knife. I will only get nerdier from here about knives....

My finger mustache is the sign of my pride!

I hate tomatoes, but I bought 2, 4 packs one day just to do the tomato cutting test where you take slices off of the top without holding the tomato

Great looking food! Glad you're enjoying your knives so much. Fine choices too!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    The best reason to make salsa.
    Chewie's the man.

When I start cutting stuff just so I can use my knives, our dinner table will always have the following: curry, salsa, chopped salad, gyoza (prepared without using a food processor), nabe, and temakizushi. Not a bad deal at all.

Nice! When are you getting them rehandled?

I don't think I will re-handle them. I like the idea of having simple but elegant handles on my knives.... plus, ho handles shrink over years (if you take good care), instead of cracking When I wear out those handles, my skill-set might deserve something else. But my new knives are fairly simple ones, and I don't want to put crazy handles on them either (even if I could) - I think that won't be a good balance on the whole. Blades and handles should resonate, not cause strange dissonance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara@JKI View Post
    I don't think I will re-handle them. I like the idea of having simple but elegant handles on my knives.... plus, ho handles shrink over years (if you take good care), instead of cracking When I wear out those handles, my skill-set might deserve something else. But my new knives are fairly simple ones, and I don't want to put crazy handles on them either (even if I could) - I think that won't be a good balance on the whole. Blades and handles should resonate, not cause strange dissonance.
    I agree. There is a beauty in the original and utilitarian handle/knife that cannot be beaten by something more glossy. My work knives are Shigefusa and I would never think of changing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sack of lemons View Post
    I agree. There is a beauty in the original and utilitarian handle/knife that cannot be beaten by something more glossy. My work knives are Shigefusa and I would never think of changing them.
    Yes... I can't agree with you more, especially about your comments about the elegance in the original and utilitarian handle/knife part. Of course there is right place and time for unique and original handles as well, but I value the functional beauty aspect of Japanese knives a lot. On top of that, I'm really new to learning the use of knives, so as a new student I think it's wise to keep the original handle/knife for now.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara@JKI View Post
    thank you guys ! So happy I have so much support here I'm super happy with the choice I made - Gesshin Ginga knives are such a joy to use. I also used my wa-petty at work today, pealing a tomato with it.... it did such a great work.

well.. well.... that's the moment I noticed that there's no going back. I was cutting/pealing a tomato just because I wanted to test my knife. I will only get nerdier from here about knives....

My finger mustache is the sign of my pride!
    here's a picture of sara peeling a tomato

*sorry for the odd rotation

+ Reply to Thread