Let's see your EDCs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadillac J

Founding Member
Reaction score
I haven't purchased a kitchen knife in a while as I've been quite content, but I have wanted to pick up an EDC for some time.

Figured I couldn't go wrong with the Spyderco Paramilitary 2--it is a great knife and the S30V steel is no slouch (but I wished the M390 version wasn't sold out). So a few days after playing with it, I decide to order the Benchmade 581 Barrage in M390...and while placing the order, figured might as well add in a ZDP-189 Endura for $95, as it is another steel that I've always wanted to try.

So here I am with 3 EDCs and they all make me happy in their own way. Not sure if this is the start of another blade addiction, or if this will be it for me.

Sharpening seemed the same as any other blade, yet the ZDP did take a bit longer. I used my normal: Shapton 220--Chosera 600--Bester 1200--Naniwa 5K SS.

They now all have super sharp edges, and I can't wait to test the retention of the M390. But I've realized how much I don't like sharpening small blades (almost thought about going against all I believe in and ordering an Edge Pro to take care of these and to use for my friends Euro or crap knives, which I also hate to freehand...haven't yet, but we'll see)

Let's see your EDCs.

6riipd.jpg

244r4hy.jpg

11170o2.jpg

o0chnc.jpg

I have the same Endura laying next to my keyboard. I also have a Paramilitary 2 in CTS-XHP that I'm waiting to sell. I had the PM2 in M390, but sold it a month ago.

Chris Reeves Mnandi

*NOT MY PICTURE (borrowed from the intrawebs)*
07i1crmctw400w1.jpg

I have a sprint run para 2 with the s90v steel, but my EDC is the sage 2 in titanium wIth s30v. Love that knife. Sorry, no pictures.

Giesen & Forsthoff, Solingen. I think this was my father's knife, then my grandfather had it at some point and ruined it on a bench grinder, I did what I could to repair the large blade, small blade is beyond repair. Steel feels quite soft, yet wear resistant; has corkscrew, bottle opener and blades, what else could I need?
5747d3b8.jpg

now adays since i make i hardly ever have a folder thats not mine on me but i do still carry a spyderco cricket SE (its my backup)
i have loved spyderco for a great number of years and dont know how any one opens a knife with out a hole in it

I have the same Endura laying next to my keyboard. I also have a Paramilitary 2 in CTS-XHP that I'm waiting to sell. I had the PM2 in M390, but sold it a month ago.

How as the ZDP held up in your Endura? If you aren't in a rush to sell it, I might be interested in your XHP in a month or so--what was the handle color on those?

Murray Carter neck knife:

I was originally going to get one of Carter's neck knives for this purpose, but I really wanted a folder and something more stain resistant. Sweet knife Rick.

I have a sprint run para 2 with the s90v steel, but my EDC is the sage 2 in titanium wIth s30v. Love that knife. Sorry, no pictures.

How is the S90V to sharpen, and how would you rate it on edge retention compared to other steels you've used?

i have loved spyderco for a great number of years and dont know how any one opens a knife with out a hole in it

Although my experience is limited with only these knives, I'm starting to have the same feeling Butch. The only reason I even got the Benchmade is because of the steel and the spring assisted open is the fastest I've seen--almost switch blade like. Not a bad knife, but much heavier than the Spydercos.

I have a sheeps-foot no. 8 I carry camping. Edc's aren't really a done thing here in Australia due to pretty strict carry laws.

Love Opinel knives. Our wild mushroom season is pretty much ending, but next year I'd like to get one of their mushroom knives.

Stretch cf zdp, dragronfly zdp, gb cpm-m4, endura vg-10, bm 940 s30v, saks.

dragonfly zdp has better HT than stretch cf, shaving sharp without constant microchip. Cpm-m4 is super-blue big brother.

Love that you started this thread! I just revamped mine.

I used to carry a Victorinox Sportsman, Benchmade 551, and had a link on my keychain for my P.O. Box keys, etc. I didn't use the corkscrew since I"m not in the kitchen anymore, and the small flathead would collapse the can opener on my finger when doing stuck-on phillips heads. I used the Benchmade because the AXIS lock is the easiest lock to DE-activate(they all open pretty easy, don't they?) when I am in a freezer covered in boxes.

Well, I found my solutions. I got a Leatherman Skeletool CX. I never liked heavy leathermans or their douchey belt pouches, but this is perfect for me. Light, the same steel as my Benchmade(a little thinner, too), a pair of good pliers, and some actual bits. I also switched to a snap loose leaf ring on my keychain because my keys were rubbing my knee in my car, which I HATE.

And of course, the 4Sevens Quark MiniX 123. Dim enough on low to not wake my wife(.5 Lumens), and bright enough to spotlight a building on high(210 lumens). Still got 9 years on the warranty too.

2012-07-18%252010.25.13.jpg

Now I just need to replace my wallet. I like that it carries change and cards, but it collects them too, which is annoying. I was thinking about maybe moving to a money clip. Or a Knives Ship Free City Pocket Sheath and a fixed blade. Also looking at the Victorinox SwissCard because I just might need little grooming tools. I am also playing with the idea of carrying a lock picking set around with me, provided it is small and light enough for me to not notice most days.

I daily carry a Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue (sprint run) with Hitachi Blue steel.

This is just a stock photo off the webs, I don't have a camera handy.

C144GPGY[large].jpg

LOL @ Eamon, lock picking set? Don't get pulled over with those in the car.

A friend of mine would carry a set of dentist tools for that reason.

IMG_0787 by jgraeff1, on Flickr

here is mine from Mike Davis- mammoth tooth, westinghouse ivory(i think) leather sheath pretty badass knife he does excellent work! i have a deba from him right now and its amazing!

001-94.jpg

I have been carrying these two for a long time.

Kershaw Leek with the D2 blade - but I don't carry it every day because at least half the time I don't know where I left it...

Stefan

LOL @ Eamon, lock picking set? Don't get pulled over with those in the car.

A friend of mine would carry a set of dentist tools for that reason.

If they didn't fit in my wallet discretely, I wouldn't want to carry them anyways.

The issued knife at a Steve Tarani knife class, this is nice to carry, can be flicked open with the right technique, and is very sharp.

ATS-34, Tarani design.

TaraniBuckStrider.jpg

i think id be too embarrassed to post a pic of mine!....ryan

This one. It is the first pocket knife I ever made. It is a lot like the little one my dad used to carry, from what I can remember.

Picture1125.jpg

Can't believe I fell into another knife-related rabbit hole...and here is where I am at now just about 4 months later.

Pretty sure I'm done at this point, and now it will be time to sell off what I don't really want. This side of the fence in the blade community is almost more addictive because of the variety of everything, which is somewhat funny because I still get much more use out of my kitchen knives on a daily basis.

All the steels I have now:
M390 (x2)
CPM-M4 (x3)
CPM-S90V
S30v
S35VN
SR101/52100 (x2)
VG10
14C28N (x2)
AUS-8

nvdr9c.jpg

291i2wo.jpg

Let's see what you got!

My collection is rather small,but all are listed here by other's:
Opinel carbon(an old one got at swapmeet)
Spyderco para-military black S30V
Spyderco para-military blue M-390
Spyderco Caly Super Blue

I enjoy stropping my folders on stones and leather.I learned stone stropping fr. Murry Carter's advanced sharpening tech.he does it with his neck knife fr.dull to shaving sharp(now that is quality steel):knife:

Latest posts

Back