Quantcast
Headphones?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headphones?

Headphones?

I know there are some audiophiles out and about around here. What are some good headphones for around $100-$150? I dont know jack about headphones. I would mainly use them for my laptop(music, videos, etc...)

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

-Matt

First instinct: Grado SR-60. Cheap, sound great, and you don't need an amp to drive them well, so straight off the laptop will be fine. Other good headphones in this price range as well, but I can't remember them right now. Check out head-fi.org for more headphone info than you could ever want.

Thanks Joe.

Sony MDR-V6. I've had mine for 20 years. The same model is still in production, and they're still getting great reviews.

Grado SR-60s hurt my ears! Someone sold aftermarket ear pads for them a few years back, but don't know if that's still the case. Going 'up' in the Grado line (i.e., SR-80 and higher) results in more comfort.

Here's a good place to look for more info and some products: http://www.headphone.com/

Also check out sennheiser HD 555, I got mine for under 100. The used market would be best though.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    Also check out sennheiser HD 555, I got mine for under 100. The used market would be best though.
    Those are a really good choice. I got a set for my son and a year later he's still raving about them.

If you want to go up several notches you should look at the 595's. I have a pair of them and love them because they are super efficient, and you can actually drive them with an mp3 player as well as a home receiver/amp set up. Only thing is, even though they're over the ear, they are "open" phones, meaning if you use them on a bus or airplane everyone else is going to hear what you're hearing.

Good price on Amazon ($145) right now: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...876263&sr=8-14

Most likely a "duh" statement, but if used when traveling, I can not recommend a noise cancelling set enough. Makes travel soooo much better when you can tune out a majority of the noise around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary View Post
    Those are a really good choice. I got a set for my son and a year later he's still raving about them.

If you want to go up several notches you should look at the 595's. I have a pair of them and love them because they are super efficient, and you can actually drive them with an mp3 player as well as a home receiver/amp set up. Only thing is, even though they're over the ear, they are "open" phones, meaning if you use them on a bus or airplane everyone else is going to hear what you're hearing.

Good price on Amazon ($145) right now: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...876263&sr=8-14
    This about the Grado as well. They are open ear. Most really good sounding low-cost headphones are though. Senn makes great headphones, and the F&F are much better than Grado, for certain. Had a Senn HD650 and absolutely loved them. Senn's usually benefit from amplification though, as most of them are higher impedance headphones. But it's nearly impossible to beat Grado sound for the price. The SR-80 is basically the same as the SR-60 with more comfortable earpads, though they still aren't the high end of comfort. You have a lot of choices in that price range.

You want some advice that might astound you a little? Find some Koss KSC75 headphones. You can get them for $20-30. They sound AMAZING for the price, are great at work on a laptop or with an mp3 player/cellphone, and are cheap enough that if they are lost or stolen it won't make you cry. They can't compete with higher end headphones, but they blow away a lot of expensive stuff that aren't really as good as their price tag (who's looking at you, Bose Triports!).

Thanks guys. I'm doing a little research now.