Yo'g. Knives are good, and I like them.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egoyte

Reaction score
How goes it?

My name's Josh, and I love kitchen knives. In more ways than I should, perhaps, but meh.

I've spent 5 years of my life in commercial kitchens (2.5 in a bakery, 2.5 as a line cook for a restaurant that thought it was fine dining - but wasn't), and while now I work at home with a computer, I still cook constantly for friends and family.

I will say that after reading around the forum a bit, I'm TOTALLY in the company of my superiors as far as knife knowledge. While I have a collection of chefs knives I got from friends and family, my go-to chefs knife is a no-name steel heavy blade that my old head chef gifted me. Sentimental value, and it's what I used in my last pro-kitchen 90% of the time, so it just feels right.

Half hesitant to add this part (as other knife enthusiasts sometimes react badly to it), but it's a part of me, and involves kitchen knives, so in the name of full disclosure... While that no-name chefs knife is my favorite blade in the kitchen, outside of the kitchen I've become fairly well known for my OTHER favorite blades, a pair of 9-inch serrated offsets that my friends and I "juggle", and play catch with.

If you're not easily freaked out, we were recently featured on a clip show on SyFy for shoving our none-offset serrated pair into a cannon, aiming them at a mortar trajectory, and then standing where they land to catch them. They put it on Hulu. Fair warning, you also shouldn't watch this if Brooke Hogan freaks you out. I know she has that effect on some. http://www.hulu.com/watch/370643#s-p1-sr-i1

I'm the fat one with the beard.

Anywho, it's nice to meet you folks. Even though I don't work in a kitchen anymore, I cook a LOT, and have recently gotten into the idea of expanding my collection of blades. So, I look forward to asking you all tons of noobish questions as to which brands are better, and the like. :)

Josh Johnson

Welcome! I was shooting some knives out of an air cannon a few months ago, but no one thought to catch one.

Thanks GlassEye!

Heh, that was probably for the best - not thinking to catch them. While I'm pretty pleased at how the show portrayed us (especially given how incredibly asinine half the other "acts" on the show were), I do wish they'd at least mentioned the years of training in knife tricks that are downright required before the cannon stunt was anything less than a good way to get impaled.

Huh... Actually, this forum may be really helpful to me in a different way. My seratted offsets also came home with me from my last restaurant gig, and they were from a kitchen supply company that I can't remember for the life of me. The maker marks on the handles wore off years ago. I'm going to take some good pictures of them, and maybe some incredibly awesome person here could help me ID the manufacturer? I'd love to have more of them. I'ma go find my camera. In the meantime, I guess they're most visible here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVLDBLUQd9o

Cool. It reminds me of a game we played at our house. there was probly 7-10 kids we played with to do this. Everyone had to have a foot in a circle (around a lawn dart ring). A person would stand in the middle and throw a knife up in the air. everyone would run to try not to get hit by the knife. If you were the closest to the knife you had to try to catch it, or you were out of the game until there was a winner. We first started out with a screwdriver but that started getting boring.

One thing it's easy to catch the handle the higher the knife is thrown. Cool vid. gratz on getting on syfi.

Thanks, thanks, and thanks again! Glad to be here. Kind people are awesome.

Crothcipt: Now THAT's my kind of game! How often did you guys get cut, if I may ask? To anticipate a question in return; We do get cut... but not as often as one would think, and usually not that badly. Using a serrated and light-weight blade tends to curb the severity of these events. It's almost always nothing that some good skin-glue can't fix. Nu-skin is surprisingly hardcore, and frequently a fine alternative to stitches.

On that note, can anyone... Name These Knives?
knifey1and2.jpg

I know I'm not giving you folks a lot to work with, so no worries if you can't.

Ginsu... with an additional chromosome?

Used a few of those but white handles. Some places they were the sharpest things/person on the line.

We had a few cuts. But most throwers were bad and couldn't get close to others. Now me wanting to juggle with a circus was always wanting to not run and try to catch it. I think me and my sister was the only ones about catching the blade.

Vertigo: Holy crap, man, that may be them. The only version I can find on a Google search also has the white handles, and the mark isn't indented... But for all I know that's a change they just made in the last few years. Hell, man... Kudos. I don't know if they're actually the same knife, but they sure look to be close enough... Thanks, brother. You just did me a solid.

Add: The name alone, Ginsu, tends to be enough to keep me from juggling it. Depending on the knife it may or may not be sharper than what I toss around usually, but the name itself adds to the intimidation. Kinda like the one time I did a quick set with some Henckels. It went just fine, but I was so anxious by the time I finished 30 seconds of tricks that I swore I'd never use them for that purpose again.

Croth: Hah, yeah... If you think you can do it, you probably can, and if you think you can't, running is the only safe bet. Good on you and your sister for having the guts - It's a rare thing that we find someone else willing to "play," and rarer still that the people who are down end up being someone we'd trust not to sue when the inevitable happens.

And aye, don't get me wrong; These things are more than sharp enough. I'm nursing my first real cut in months, an inch gash in my right palm, a half centimeter deep. I caught the thing and brought it to a stop before it went deeper/longer, I just shouldn't have even tried that time, heh.

Thanks Johnny.

[edit]Anyone like ska?[/edit]
[video=youtube;slZAK6s-xkM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slZAK6s-xkM[/video]

Vertigo: Holy crap, man, that may be them. The only version I can find on a Google search also has the white handles, and the mark isn't indented... But for all I know that's a change they just made in the last few years. Hell, man... Kudos. I don't know if they're actually the same knife, but they sure look to be close enough...
It's definitely available in either white or black, and you can kinda make out the indentation in this picture by looking at the little "ridge" around the right side of logo.

Thanks, brother. You just did me a solid.

:word:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back