Long time watcher from a land far, far away............

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chcmuzza

Reaction score
Hi Folks

A long time knife fan here. As a kid I was fascinated by knives as tools, and has an adult I have always been in the 'form follows function' camp. Aside from doing all the cooking in our house of four, I have an active interest in areas such as home audio, watches, technology and other 'boys toys'.

I love NZ wines, especially Central Otago Pinot Noir, however my gout doesn't agree with that hobby.

I have been interested in kitchen knives for over 20x years and have graduated from 8" German chefs knives, to NZ made custom items, to Japanese blades.

Sharpening remains a challenge. Whilst I appreciate performance I am not overly talented with my hands and hence have taken up the EdgePro challenge. In tine I will graduate to natural stones.:scared4:

I have been lurking here for some time, and for years at the 'other' knife forum. I don't post much - I am daunted by my lack of expertise :(

I like being 'different' and relish 'pride of ownership'. My grail list includes a custom gyuto with a NZ native timber handle / pounamu (jade) ferrule.

Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks for the objective and civil discussions on this forum.

Cheers

welcome! if you ever come across a pounamu sharpening stone let me know, it is my holy grail.

karambit.jpg

Is this something with which you are familiar? I think it is from that part of the world.

Welcome, and I hope you realized that the regulars on this site are all a little bit from places far, far away from normal, so you'll fit right in

Thanks to all for the welcome.

Sorry Keith, haven't seen anything like that on my travels.

Sachem, pounamu is readily available here in NZ. Search trademe.co.nz for pounamu and see what you come up with. There are flat pieces of various sizes coming up all the time. I am keen on using some as a ferrule on a Wa handle.

Cheers

Back