Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 11
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    if you only need to brew a cup at a time try a clever coffee dripper. if you have to brew a bunch on the clever you could do a 50% bypass brew or just use It like any other #4 cone. I gave up on the aeropress... not to say that you can't get good results with it, I just suck at it and I always end up with sediment in my cup
    +1

The Lusso for espressos and a Clever mean I'm in coffee nirvana these days.

I still need to get a burr grinder, but right now I've got my Bodum Bean double-walled french press doing my coffee making. Along with a keurig mini for when I'm too lazy to do do all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    all of that stuff is feature, not bug! hmm, maybe an aeropress? i don't think you really need a new grinder. i've been using the same Bodum blade grinder for years. the secret is that i know that three table spoons of beans, then 15 pulses, plus a shake, then 7-8 more pulses, gets me the perfect grind. i would seriously try to like press coffee, though. you are missing out on a lot of flavor if you exclude much of the oil. i've used a bunch of methods, including Hario drip, and the simple press is still my favorite.
    The flavor is great, it's the feeling in my mouth that kind of bugs me. Maybe I'll bust out the press tonight and give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    The flavor is great, it's the feeling in my mouth that kind of bugs me. Maybe I'll bust out the press tonight and give it another shot.
    You can also change your bean/water ratios, or switch up beans (something less oily) and get some different results out of your press.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    You can also change your bean/water ratios, or switch up beans (something less oily) and get some different results out of your press.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm actually getting anxious to start doing more testing with it.

Now I just need to get a grinder. Is there a good grinder to be had for under $100? I always heard good things about the Capresso Infinity but then some coffee snob always chimes in to say that it's a POS and you can't get a good grinder for under $XXX and that's when I end up re-considering the whole thing...

I wasn't sure if this was normal or if I had somehow screwed up a very simple brewing process.
    It's perfectly normal and there is nothing indicating that you screwed anything up.

In fact, I salute you for having an opinion about the coffee you drink - most people are happy as long as it's screaming hot and very bitter

Lars

Is there a good grinder to be had for under $100? I always heard good things about the Capresso Infinity but then some coffee snob always chimes in to say that it's a POS and you can't get a good grinder for under $XXX and that's when I end up re-considering the whole thing...
    Unless you want to spend the money to get something like a Mahlkoenig Tanzania I think you would be happy with the Infinity - not the most uniform grind you can get, but it beats store-ground beans anytime..

Lars

I have always enjoyed a strong cup of coffee. I enriched Starbucks for years (and still do on occasion) before breaking myself of the habit and making drip coffee through a simple filter fitted to a plastic cup. My sister gave me an inexpensive ($25) Capresso grinder and Bodum French press for Christmas last year, and I've never looked back. It's one of those things that always seemed like too much trouble until I started doing it. I don't think it takes me any longer to pulse some whole beans and press my coffee in the morning than it did to slowly pour water through a paper filter, and the results are night and day. I don't like tasting grounds in my coffee, but don't find that to be a problem with the press. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing with a more expensive grinder and/or roaster, but the setup I have is cheap and effective.

Thanks for the tip, I'm actually getting anxious to start doing more testing with it.

Now I just need to get a grinder. Is there a good grinder to be had for under $100? I always heard good things about the Capresso Infinity but then some coffee snob always chimes in to say that it's a POS and you can't get a good grinder for under $XXX and that's when I end up re-considering the whole thing...
    I have the Capresso Infinity. It works fine. Especially if you are using a French Press, Chemex or Pour-over. I don't think you benefit from having a grinder that costs 10 times what your brew setup does. If you were super serious and had some of the crazier brewing methods, then yeah, go big on the grinder.

You could even get a manual hand crank burr grinder if you don't mind putting some muscle into your morning brew.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I just rebuilt the La Pavoni Europic a week or two ago and have been rather satisfied with what I can get from that. My technique is lacking, I think, due to so much time with the machine out of service. And I need to find a decent tamper that isn't stupid expensive.
    Press pot is probably still my favorite method, so simple and great.
    Grinding with Baratza Virtuoso, has performed nicely so far.
    Always fresh, locally roasted beans; origin to suit my mood.