Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    We should just start a coffee sub-forum here
    +1

3rd day with Red Bird espresso - I think I got it for - grind, tamp etc.

Quote Originally Posted by geezr View Post
    3rd day with Red Bird espresso - I think I got it for - grind, tamp etc.
    So, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by UCChemE05 View Post
    So, what do you think?
    Still trying to dial-in taste but OK espresso and Americano
    Very different from local beans I use at 2x + the cost, these are smaller beans, milder roast and less aroma all around (bag, grind, cup).

much more awesomer
    For espresso my benchmark is Black Cat. It is also way too expensive -- I live in Canada so I need to bring in an unreasonable quantity to get the cost/ounce down from the exosphere to just the stratosphere... That said, it's damn good espresso. I've had better, but not often. It is consistently good, which is why it is a benchmark for me. Looking around for cheaper alternatives, I have tried Counter Culture Coffee's various espresso blends with some success. Their Rustica and Toscano blends work well with my very humble setup (cheap burr grinder, Rancilio Silvia v.3), and I was able to dial in the grind and tamp quickly. Next I'd like to try either Red Bird or Paradise Roasters, mainly because of the cost -- less than half the price per ounce compared to Black Cat for small quantities. If it is decent enough, I may switch.

Do either Red Bird or Paradise put their roast dates on the packages (as do IC and CCC)?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    The problem with current day Black Cat is it is not the chocolate bomb it once was. Additionally, it changes quite often, as coffee's do. I can't quite remember as I am not home and can't check my bag, but I don't think Red Bird puts the roast date on the package; I am not worried, as I know it gets to me within 2 days of ordering. He always roasts right before he ships. Also, I love this as well: http://www.caffefresco.us/offerings/...iaEspresso.php

Jason
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    For espresso my benchmark is Black Cat. It is also way too expensive -- I live in Canada so I need to bring in an unreasonable quantity to get the cost/ounce down from the exosphere to just the stratosphere... That said, it's damn good espresso. I've had better, but not often. It is consistently good, which is why it is a benchmark for me. Looking around for cheaper alternatives, I have tried Counter Culture Coffee's various espresso blends with some success. Their Rustica and Toscano blends work well with my very humble setup (cheap burr grinder, Rancilio Silvia v.3), and I was able to dial in the grind and tamp quickly. Next I'd like to try either Red Bird or Paradise Roasters, mainly because of the cost -- less than half the price per ounce compared to Black Cat for small quantities. If it is decent enough, I may switch.
    I thought BC was decent but definately not worth it for me for the price. I used to be more of a "choc bomb" kind of guy but my preferences have evolved to a bit brighter blends (though definately not in-your-face bright).

I can't remember if Jeff puts the date on the bags. (ordering 5# at a time, i don't get them too often ) I do know all my past orders have been shipped the same day as roasted. During non-summer months he includes a free small chocolate with each lb. ordered which I think is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    I've heard that Ambrosia is good but haven't tried it yet myself.

Red Bird bag has hand written date - upper right corner of label.
    This am brewed RB espresso beans using Aeropress with metal filter and coarser grind. Good
    Will do Aeropress again tomorrow, then to espresso machine.

much more awesomer
    Redirecting from another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    The cory is much better made syphon, but they both opperate on the same principles. What is your current yama procedure?

Pretty basic, actually. Though our tap water is perfectly alright, I prefer to use filtered water in all my coffees. For the Yama I just start the flame and bring quart of Brita water to a boil in an electric kettle. I pour a couple of ounces into the Yama for a few seconds to reduce the thermal shock, then fill it up and slide the flame underneath, and insert the coffee chamber. When the upper chamber is full and roiling, I give it a quick stir and time one minute, at which point I remove the flame and watch the magic. Eventually I may get the butane burner and skip the kettle for pre-heating the water. After my cup, I clean the upper chamber, rinse the filter under cold running water while I re-boil the rest of the water in the kettle. I throw the filter in a small marmalade jar, fill it with boiling water and screw on the lid. When it cools and vacuum seals itself, I put it in the fridge until next time. I get about 40 brews before the muslin gets a bit too tattered.

I've been using different single origins from Intelligentsia and Counter Culture, letting them grind for vacuum siphon brewers for me (my little grinder is always full of espresso blend and is too fiddly on a normal day).
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Nice, a coffee thread! Been roasting my own for about a year now off and on in a Whirley Pop. I mostly use an aeropress, but occasionally a french press if I have company, and I have an inexpensive espresso setup too but the results are mixed with that.

I had to put a plug in for the roaster of my absolute favorite espresso blend ever veltonscoffee.com/. One guy roasting small batches weekly. The Bonsai blend is an amazing espresso blend and the Twilight blend is good for those who like a bit darker roast for drip/pour over. He's a super nice guy too.