Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 19
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

so what say you about hand cranked grinders that you can adjust the grind on

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    Wound up tripping the trigger on a Baratza Virtuoso preciso. I'd sure like to hear any input you guys that are roasting at home can offer on a roaster. I've been reading as much as I can on the subject but I've zero experience in that department.

Dave
    Anyone starting out roasting must get a Behmor, it's pretty much the standard. One of these days I am going to secure a used sampler roaster, one of these days...
    Jason

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    so what say you about hand cranked grinders that you can adjust the grind on
    I have one, nothing wrong with them. I have a Zassenhaus I never use. May I suggest I (if you want the rolls royce of them): http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-PHA...er_p_3977.html

Jason

Wound up tripping the trigger on a Baratza Virtuoso preciso. I'd sure like to hear any input you guys that are roasting at home can offer on a roaster. I've been reading as much as I can on the subject but I've zero experience in that department.

Dave
    If you want to give roasting a try without the $300 investment of a Behmor pick up a whirly pop. At www.sweetmarias.com you can get the whirly pop and 8 lbs of green coffee for about $50. They also have a decent book on home coffee roasting there for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    I have one, nothing wrong with them. I have a Zassenhaus I never use. May I suggest I (if you want the rolls royce of them): http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-PHA...er_p_3977.html

I own a few vintage Zassenhaus grinders, the Zassenhaus knee grinder, the OE PFP and the OE Pharos. I have tried quite a few more because I need to have a non-powered version at work. The Pharos is the only one that can remotely compare to the better electric grinders. It does a decent job but don't expect a high-end grinder at a low-end price - there is a sginifican difference between a Pharos and the Mahlkönig Tanzania I use at home.

That said, buying a grinder from Orphan Espresso is probably the best option for a hand grinder at the moment. Some used vintage grinders are quite good also but it is a bit hit-and-miss trying to find a good one.

Anyone ever rig up a home made cold press coffee system? I've owned a Toddy before and I can never understand how they can sleep at night charging $40 for essentially a plastic tub, a rubber stopper, and a piece of cheap filter.

My initial thoughts are a glass pitcher to go through the process of "brewing" then pass it through my fine mesh sieve? Maybe add cheesecloth to the equation (would that block passage of the oils?)?
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

Quote Originally Posted by JanusInTheGarden View Post
    Anyone ever rig up a home made cold press coffee system? I've owned a Toddy before and I can never understand how they can sleep at night charging $40 for essentially a plastic tub, a rubber stopper, and a piece of cheap filter.

My initial thoughts are a glass pitcher to go through the process of "brewing" then pass it through my fine mesh sieve? Maybe add cheesecloth to the equation (would that block passage of the oils?)?
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...l=1#post111032

Ah, missed that one. Did a "thread" search on this one and that particular one didn't show up. Appreciate it.
    It is our human duty to enjoy life. We’ve got to be greedy about living. We learned that greed is a vice, but that’s old. Greed is a virtue. Especially this greediness for life.

I shouldn't even ask, it will only give me evil GAS thoughts , but how are you doing with the Preciso, Dave? I was o.k. with my Rocky, but right now the doserless design annoys me because of the mess I get when I use it, and I also switch more back and forth between espresso, french press and drip coffees than I used to. So, I was wondering how the Preciso holds up. I am also not sure - compared with the Rocky, would it be more of a lateral move or a step up, especially for espresso? CoffeeGeek seemed to be very happy with the Preciso, but there are also a lot of forum posts with issues from what see...

Stefan

Dave

I'm really liking the Preciso. Truly one of the best all purpose grinders I've owned. It's quiet, clean and I don't get road gravel on a FP grind. The burrs are very nice and easy to clean. The grind by time Vs grind by weight is a bit different for me but that was easy to get used to. If any one wants to see any detailed pics just ask. As far as Espresso grind I can't imagine this machine not being up to the task but I expect that will vary considerably with your machine. Now I just need to order some Organic Kona....

Dave