Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by chokobo View Post
    Err I meant speciality 3rd wave cafes. Melbourne - eg. St Ali's, Seven Seeds, Patricia's Coffee Brewers, Clement Coffee, Auction Rooms, Proud Mary, etc. Sydney - Coffee Alchemy, Mecca Espresso, Sample Coffee Bar, Toby's Estate, Reuben Hills, Single Origin Roasters, etc.
    Hehehe. Thanks for the rounded lists. Last summer (your winter -- it was effing cold!) in Melbourne I managed to get to Patricia and a couple others in and near Little Bourque, Aix in Centre place and a few more. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but one of the best milk drinks I had was (not surprisingly) at Brunetti's in Carlton. Atmosphere may have had a lot to do with my perception, though. LOL
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

much more awesomer
    PS: Tiamo 2 was one of the best trattoria meals I've had outside Italy, while T1 next door had a very authentic espresso bar experience.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Haha yes winter is too cold here. I suspect you like the traditional Italian espresso then. Coffee is really exciting at the moment as coffee cultivating countries are really improving practises, processing techniques and speciality coffee companies are directly investing in the farms to enable better and more efficient production. What has been found is that other than the nuts, choc bomb, toffee or malt that you normally associate with Italian espresso - which still uses a lot of cheap Robusta beans, rather than Arabica, you can get a lot of different fruit flavours through the different methods of extraction. Melbourne coffee from these speciality cafes are especially geared more towards these fruit flavours which also means lighter roasts. If you're drinking a lot of milk drinks using their espresso blends, this doesn't particularly work all that well for the old-school drinkers as there isn't enough of the choc type flavours to really cut through the milk. All thats left is an eminently balanced milk drink which sometimes doesn't have enough kick. Everyone's palate is different but if you can next time, definitely try all the coffee black.. from the espresso machines either as short blacks or a long black if you really need to. The flavours of some of these beans we're importing now are really fantastic, especially without the milk to kill it all.

Or, ideally, you could try the filter brews from all the places listed above. Filter allows for more delicate flavours as espresso with its 9 bar of water pressure tends to destroy them. You need time to drink them though as you need to let them cool to room temperature to really let the flavours bloom. Proud Mary imports some really special Panama geisha beans which are awesome through filter. Or you can try filter from our very own World Coffee Brewing champion 2012, Matt Perger from St Ali's.

Thanks for the tip. Will try it out next time I'm in Carlton. Try out D.O.C. Pizza there for an authentic Neopolitan style pizza, or Cecconi's and Lupino in the city for pasta/mains.

much more awesomer
    Next time you're up in Brissie, try Alen's Espresso on George Street near the Roma transit centre. Good espresso.

FWIW, I'm a straight espresso drinker more often than not. I've added your lists to my Dropbox and will check them out next time I swing 'round (early next year I suspect).
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Bought a grinder!

Thats a very nice grinder..

Lars

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    A pourover station a buddy of mine just made for me. I think it's pretty nice...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Jason

Nice setup, Jason!

O.k. grinders again: What about an Anfim Caimano with commercial use but new burrs? Worth $350 with a cracked hopper and a missing doser lid? Any thoughts?

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    What about an Anfim Caimano with commercial use but new burrs? Worth $350 with a cracked hopper and a missing doser lid? Any thoughts?

Stefan
    Stefan,

I am not a big fan of stepped grinders for espresso, but I like that it runs slower than the Super Jolly that also uses 64mm flat burrs and is in the same price range.

Maybe you could take it for a test drive, to see if it works ok for you..

Lars

Well I would like to have similar items for my house because I am looking for huge shopping for my newly built house. I watched some splendid variety there at Hsn using discounts from http://www.ezcouponsearch.com/HSN-Coupons_cm_607.aspx and that worked nicely but I will be looking to see more coupons for my next shopping. If anyone having some opinion about better store with more quality items, then please let me know.