Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 26
Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

I have directly compared the Preciso to a Mazzer SJ on a Marzocco machine in a very good small cafe with 3 pro baristas, same beans, same machine. Our conclusion was that the SJ grinds were indeed a tiny bit fluffier and definitely better distributed but with careful technique and a bit more time spent on distribution (5-6 seconds tops) the shot quality was nearly identical. There was as much variation shot to shot with either grinder as between the two. In a commercial environment those 5-6 seconds per shot are critical, but not at home. Grind speed was also about a second or two longer per shot on the Preciso. The new gearbox on the preciso slows the burs down to the point where there is no heat problem. For press pot grinding the Mazzer simply didn't even come close, way more fines than the preciso and noticeably more sludge in the cup. There is a different commercial grinder in the shop that they use for pour overs and press pots, I can't remember the name of it but it was great at the coarse grinds and couldn't do espresso at all. My point is that high end commercial grinders were designed with a different set of criteria, and no barista would even think about using a preciso all day in a cafe, but for making a couple shots a day at home the preciso is 99% as good, a third the price, and a third or less the size, and better suited to different grinds.

That being said, preference in gear of any kind and what is "the best" is ultimately up to the individual users experience, and there are probably other grinders in the $1,000 and up price range that are better suited for home use than the Mazzer SJ I used. I have never had the opportunity to try Versalab, Malk K30, or the Elecktra Nino. I will therefore retract my "best at any price" comment and say probably the best under $1,500.

At the lower price end, I had a Mr. Coffee branded bur grinder that was I think $60.00 and still have a Capressio Infinity that is $100 (I leave that one for my roomate that likes dark oily beans that I won't let near my grinder) And while they are both way better than a blade grinder neither will do espresso at all, both leave a ton of fines at press pot, but both are ok at drip. I can definitely taste a difference in a pour over though, the preciso gives a much sweeter cup.

Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    IMHO the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso is the best grinder for home use at any price. The only thing that more expensive commercial grinders do better is high volume, and they are actually much worse at low volume home use. The preciso leaves only about 0.2 grams of coffee in its chute after grinding, other home grinders, even the more expensive Vario by the same company leave over a gram, and commercial grinders like Mazzer leave up to 7 or 8 grams. That means when you grind for a cup you either have to first grind and throw away a few grams of coffee or have a significant percentage of stale grounds in your brew. It is also extremely versatile, I have never seen another grinder that is exceptional at espresso, and can also do a coarse grind for french press with almost no fines. The vario grinds very well for espresso too, but is no where near as good on the coarse end or even in the middle for drip or pour over. For me, espresso aside, the ultimate home coffee setup is a Preciso and a Hario V60 dripper. People think I'm nuts for telling them to buy a $300 grinder and a $15 coffee maker, but the results are infinitely better than using a $15 grinder and a $300 coffee maker. As far as home roasting goes, it seems like a fascinating and rewarding hobby, but I would rather buy beans from a great local roaster that has spent his whole life perfecting the art of roasting, and travels around the world hand picking beans from individual farmers. I will never be able to produce roasts of that quality at home, not even close. Oh, I do not work for a coffee equipment maker or store, this is all based on personal experience and years of research and tasting.

+1. I've had a lot of grinders and after using the Preciso for several months it is freakin awesome. Even more so when you consider the price point. Here's a link to a very detailed review that may be of interest. Did some one mention Breville??? I can't post what I really think of those but I will say I killed three of them in a year. I'll leave a link to a review I did on that for another forum.

Dave

http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/qui...reciso/details

http://www.cheftalk.com/products/bre...r/reviews/4072

joetbn, you are right -- Mazzers are great for espresso, but really not the best for pour-over, drip, etc. I'm thinking about a grinder for coffee at some point, but will never, ever give up the Mazzer. But my pro-Mazzer comments belong in the Espresso thread, and not the Coffee thread

WildBoar, your pro Mazzer comments are welcome here, to me espresso IS coffee, elevated to it's highest potential.

Fwiw there are places like Coava Coffee brewing filter coffee exclusively through a Mazzer Kony by choice. I use mine for both espresso and filter, and it works quite well. Maybe not well enough to stop me getting a dedicated Ditting, Bunn, Tanzania or über grinder more so for the laziness factor of not having to change my espresso grind settings.

What's tasting good for you guys at the moment? I'm loving the Panama Geisha Mario Carnival at the moment. Absolutely stunning coffee!

Waiting for the "i don't drink burnt coffee" insults to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by joetbn View Post
    WildBoar, your pro Mazzer comments are welcome here, to me espresso IS coffee, elevated to it's highest potential.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Waiting for the "i don't drink burnt coffee" insults to start.
    No one said Starbucks did they?
    Jason

So got 5 lbs of Red Bird in the other day, let it rest for two days and froze the rest. In the cup:

[IMG][/IMG]

Steamed up some whole milk for a cap. I really pay attention to my microfoam, 75%+ shops don't know how to steam milk, this cup was 1/5 full and now it's a 3/5 full:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Of course, after all that I was multitasking and didn't even attempt latte art:

[IMG][/IMG]

Still tasted good
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    I really pay attention to my microfoam, 75%+ shops don't know how to steam milk
    Thats an optimistic figure if I ever saw one.

Looks good J, thanks for the pics.
    Almost enough inspiration to get me to tear into my poor broken Oscar and replace the SSR.
    Merry Xmas.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Very optimistic, but it's Christmas eve so what the heck!
    Jason