Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 27
Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Very optimistic, but it's Christmas eve so what the heck!
    Do you have any tips on steaming the milk, I usually don't stretch mine that much but seeing your post I figured I would try. The milk turned out nice and creamy but I didn't have enough on top for any sort of art so I thought my technique was a bit off. I obviously need a little more practice, just want to make sure I practice correctly. I think tonight's caps had an some of the best mouth feel though and that is important.

Thanks
    Jared

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    First find a good milk. Some milk is treated with (can't remember the term) and doesn't foam well. Not all milks microfoam the same and the fresher the better. You probably already know, but the higher the fat the easier to microfoam. Other than that make sure the milk is very cold, even put the container in the freezer until you get good. I usually stretch from 70F-80F, then dunk the tip deep in the milk at an angle. I also tilt the container so I get a good whirlpool going. I usually finish off at 140F-150 depending on how old the milk is. Swirl in cup while base is on counter. If you get a "marshmellow" top, you stretched the milk too much and consider dunking earlier in the temp.

It's a learned skill, and one that needs to be practiced. If I hadn't made microfoam in a month or so, I sometimes make mistakes.
    Jason

Just got a Keurig for Christmas. :-)

Perfect for a cook constantly on the go

Right before I finished it off, a good way to end a day at work.

Looking forward to this coming in. All is green, I will roast.

Jamaica Blue Mountain Clifton Mount - 2lbs
    Arianna Farms Ono Kona - Kona Festival Winner - 2lbs
    Panama Carmen Estate - 5lbs
    Panama Esmeralda Boquete Geisha -1lb

Only about $135 for total 10lbs. I LOVE Carmen Estate. Looking forward to see how it stands up to the others. It's been a few years since I had some Kona, looking forward to it. Of course the crown jewel is the Esmeralda, albeit it's not the auction version.
    Jason

The first time I tasted Esmaralda it really did my head in.
    It was in a cupping session and I almost thought it was a cup of tea when I smelled it

Have fun roasting..

Lars

Let us know how the Kona turns out Jason. It sounds like you should be all set for at least a few weeks.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Thanks, should be in tomorrow. I plan on roasting some Kona first. I've always had a love affair...
    Jason

How much time does it take and how big a pita is roasting your own? What's the best home roaster?
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    How much time does it take and how big a pita is roasting your own? What's the best home roaster?
    Your avatar is perfect, 'cause you are about to get drawn down into the rabbit hole