Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Best roaster is an open ended question. Best roaster for a newbie is a Behmor. Lots of ways to roast, just depends on how deep your pockets go and how much effort you want to put in.
    Jason

Hi guys and Gals. Im getting ready to roast my first beans!! I placed a order for a few pounds and am excited about trying this. Yet after reading some of this thread. I have a feeling its gona become yet another addiction, that costs much money and trial and error to get to where I can get constant results and a GREAT coffee! Yet the rewards will be great, and the coffee even better! So Im ready!

If I may ask you guys a few questions along the way. I would appreciate any pointers and help ya might give!

Heres the plan so far. Get beans... CHECK. I have Guatemala beans, Ethiopia, Colombia, and a French Roast Blend. Heading this way, expected first part of the week.

Use a air popper (popcorn) to roast the first few batches. also plan to par roast a batch, as well as might try and Bake some?

Finaly after cooling them and letting them rest. Grind and Enjoy. ( I have a one button grinder at the moment ) That is soon to be replaced im sure!

I think the first or next step would be to purchase a entry level roaster. And more coffee.

Im reading reviews, and searching the net and found many choices and options good and bad reviews on the same roasters. and was pointed right back to my popcorn maker. lol
    Have you tried or used your air popper to roast beans? if so, how did it do? What roasters would be recommended under 200.00 that actually works well and would make dark roast?

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Well the beans arrived this morning and I roasted 2 batched, Here are some images.

Any advise as to how long I have to let them rest B4 grinding and brewing would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEB-L paring knives 003 (533x800).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	13066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEB-L paring knives 002 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	13065  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Looks like a good roast. You will find air popper roasting and drum roasting will create a slightly different taste (if you decide to get a drum roaster). Resting is a bit subjective, and the usual recommendation can depend on the bean...Sweet Marias and Roastmasters will many times give you recommendations. I'd say at least 24 hours. A fun thing to do is to try it at every time interval i.e. right after roasting, 24 hours, 48 hours, etc. You can really learn about the beans and their maturity/flavor potential. Just remember that the CO2 release will be much higher the closer to the roast, so a lot of blooming will happen (grinds will "bloom" when you put hot water over them). Usually a well rested bean will have minimal blooming, but just enough to prove it is still fresh. Some roasts, particurally espresso roasts, recommend resting for 5-7 days to get the right flavor profile out of them.

I think you will find roasting beans a science, much like baking is a science. People can get real techy with gadgets and DIY set-ups in order to be able to repeat roasts. Seems like you have the ability to do well with it, keep it up!
    Jason

So far its been alot of fun, after roasting a couple pounds with the air popper. I was HOOKED and went ahead and picked up a Drum Roaster and a Burr grinder! Looking at a new brewer at the moment!

Having a blast!
    Randy

Name:	Roaster!!! 001 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	13258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roaster!!! 004 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	13259  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roaster!!! 007 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	13260  

Availible Knives

Very cool, when I grow up I want one of those...

Stefan

Great to see other people roasting in here as well :-)

Randy, did you like the result? Looks like quite a dark roast by the oily sheen.

Randy: Looks great! I have been roasting for about a year with my hottop, another drum roaster. I too love it. I imaging you have found sweet marias, but if not check out their website. If you are looking for an esspreso machine, check out wholelattelove.com. How do you like your Behmor? Anyway good luck and enjoy. ERIC

Dieter, Im having a blast trying new beans from around the globe!

The coffee was a little over roasted.. OK maybe alot for most peoples tastes. But I mixed it with another batch that was a bit under roasted in my opinion. and come up with a great combination that really has a deep rich taste.

Main thing is, Im enjoying my coffee more then ever. The new roaster is doing a great job. and Im having great success at doing 1lb at a time, which I read was not something this machine did well. I added a photo of the last 1 lb batch I roasted.

Eric. I have found Sweet Maria's and thats where I ordered my first beans from. I got the Bemore at Roastmasters.com They had free shipping!! and sent along a 10.00 coupon of my next order and 8 pounds of beans.

Now Im hooked. lol. I think the next purchase will be a better coffee maker. Im open to suggestions. Was hoping to stay under 150.00 for it. But after looking at the fancy ones on the coffee sites. I see thats gona be hard to do.

God Bless.

Name:	coffee 001 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	13416  

Availible Knives

Just grab a French Press Randy. It doesn't have to be expensive.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?