Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

The Aeropress is very versatile - I just had a very nice cup of light roasted Kieni from Kenya.

Here is the recipe(the Aeropress is used upside down):
    17g of coffee ground just a little coarser than a traditional filter brew.
    200g of water @ 95 celsius.
    30 sec steep time, turn it over and press.
    Turned out a very clean, well balanced cup of coffee.

For espresso and milk based drinks I use a Dalla Corte mini and a Ditting KE640 grinder.

Is there something I can look for at a store that tells me if they brew good coffee. I have never been a fan of coffee as of yet, but I want to give it a good try before I write it off completely. So any suggestions as to what to look for and try would be helpful.

Thanks
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    Is there something I can look for at a store that tells me if they brew good coffee.
    Look for a place that serves black coffee brewed to order. No pour over machine allowed..

Good coffee should taste great, with lots of flavours and not be served too hot.

Espresso can be great but is kind of an acquired taste.

Milk based drinks are more like cocktails, they taste great, but you don't taste the coffee so much..

there's a place local here that only serves french press, you order a coffee and press it yourself at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    Is there something I can look for at a store that tells me if they brew good coffee.
    Ask if they roast their own coffee or get it from a local roaster. Coffee is getting past its prime about a week after roasting. If the menu has a selection of single-origin coffees, it is an indication they take it more seriously (or take themselves too seriously).

That said, coffee has a variety of flavors based on origin and the roast. I like coffee a lot, but that doesn't mean i automatically enjoy every product no matter how exotic or expensive.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanFowler View Post
    there's a place local here that only serves french press, you order a coffee and press it yourself at the table.
    I'm not sure I like that setup, though it's obviously better than most places. Do they pour the water for you? If so, do they do it at the table? I would worry that they pour the water then let it sit for an unknown amount of time before it gets to you, so you don't know how long to steep for. For similar reasons, I'm not much of a fan of French Press' in general. I prefer to have my coffee and tea removed from the liquid entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by so_sleepy View Post
    Ask if they roast their own coffee or get it from a local roaster. Coffee is getting past its prime about a week after roasting. If the menu has a selection of single-origin coffees, it is an indication they take it more seriously (or take themselves too seriously).

That said, coffee has a variety of flavors based on origin and the roast. I like coffee a lot, but that doesn't mean i automatically enjoy every product no matter how exotic or expensive.
    When people who really don't know coffee ask me that question, I usually just tell them to look for a place with the illy sign in the window and to ask for an Americano instead of just a coffee. The above steps only make sense for people who are already into decent coffee, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by so_sleepy View Post
    The Aeropress makes coffee concentrate, I use it to make iced coffee drinks. I use a Chemex for my drip coffee and prefer the results.
    funny i thought it jsut made a nice strong cup
    i use 2 scoops of grounds fill the press to the top swish the mix let settle out and then press i do top off the cup cause its not all the way full
    love the cup of coffee it makes (tho no one lieks to drink coffee like this at the house sept for me )

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I'm not sure I like that setup, though it's obviously better than most places. Do they pour the water for you? If so, do they do it at the table? I would worry that they pour the water then let it sit for an unknown amount of time before it gets to you, so you don't know how long to steep for. For similar reasons, I'm not much of a fan of French Press' in general. I prefer to have my coffee and tea removed from the liquid entirely.

They roast their own beans daily, and they pour each order immediately when you ask for it and your handed your mug and the french press to go to your table..

http://www.drinkcoffeedogood.com/ <--- this place

it's funny because the building their in used to be a luthier's shop that my dad would take his '64 Martin to for tune up work, they had a beautiful assortment of very very nice guitars. I'd been going there since I was a young teenager. so it's a weird memory lane type thing for me to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    funny i thought it jsut made a nice strong cup
    i use 2 scoops of grounds fill the press to the top swish the mix let settle out and then press i do top off the cup cause its not all the way full
    love the cup of coffee it makes (tho no one lieks to drink coffee like this at the house sept for me )
    yep, that is exactly how to do it. two scoops should be right for around 10 ounces of coffee once you top it off. It's just right for a good sized mug of coffee. Sweet Maria's directions are better than the manufacturer:
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/aeropress...structions.php
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanFowler View Post
    They roast their own beans daily, and they pour each order immediately when you ask for it and your handed your mug and the french press to go to your table..

http://www.drinkcoffeedogood.com/ <--- this place

it's funny because the building their in used to be a luthier's shop that my dad would take his '64 Martin to for tune up work, they had a beautiful assortment of very very nice guitars. I'd been going there since I was a young teenager. so it's a weird memory lane type thing for me to go there.
    Oh, that's fine then. I've been some places where you order from the table and they eventually bring you a press, which annoys me.