Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

much more awesomer
    For the amount of espresso made in this household I'm not ready to plunk down two grand for a rotary pump HX or DB machine, and the Silvia can make decent shots from time to time. It occurs to me that using the Weiss Disribution Technique in a Synesso double basket and tamping with all my might (while blaming the old grinder for the need to do that!) for years was providing a lot of coverage for any deficiencies. The grinder is no longer a source of inconsistency, and tamping the fine, fluffy, fresh coffee at 30-35 lbs should at least get me close to a nice, long pull. Rather, I'm getting channeling and micro-jets, and it pours at close to gusher rates.

I am now wondering what the GH pressure is during a brew. Another couple hundred for a pressure gauge and (while I'm in there) a PID should at least eliminate the equipment as sources of problems and inconsistency, and leave the operator as the main variable in the system.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Sounds like you may need to tighten the grind a bit.

much more awesomer
    Yeah, still tweaking that, but I'm already almost as fine as the Vario goes (1-H this morning).
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

much more awesomer
    Come to think of it, Vin, I put away my yogurt container upon acquiring the Vario, figuring the new grinder would solve several problems off the bat (uneven grind, clumping and distribution). I suppose I should fall back to it temporarily to see if that is indeed needed until I can get more proficient with Schomer or Stockfleth and the fluffier grind. A good pull using my old method would (at least temporarily) delay more expense in the form of a pressure gauge, but I really want temperature stability. Surfing is for kids.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Channeling is almost always caused by uneven distribution in the filter or tamping too hard. I have seen so many Barista's learning and torquing down on the tamp that is creates this problem. It is like honing on a fine stone where you go too hard it may bite in and get gouged by the knife, but not enough pressure and you receive no results.

Update:
    VST basket 20 grams: Not sure I am really liking this basket. It makes really nice even espresso pulls and I totally am impressed with the technology. However I think I am missing the triple shots so a 22 gram may be on order.

As for the 25-34ish second pulls. This is just a guideline, abet a decent one. When you start going larger doses, like triples this may change. Oddly single shots pull around the same time :/ When we where testing out various roasts (fresh with in a few days) on the triples we often found shots did not fully develop to 45 seconds :o

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Yeah, still tweaking that, but I'm already almost as fine as the Vario goes (1-H this morning).
    There were some beans and roasts that I couldn't get slow enough, even at the Vario's finest grind setting. I agree with Wildboard -- keep going finer. Also, having beans in the hopper really helps a lot with getting consistent grinds.

Quote Originally Posted by vinster View Post
    There were some beans and roasts that I couldn't get slow enough, even at the Vario's finest grind setting. I agree with Wildboard -- keep going finer. Also, having beans in the hopper really helps a lot with getting consistent grinds.
    If you have to keep going finer, or too fine then it can also be the beans are not fresh enough, or over roasted. The darker the roast the more likely it is you will need to go finer.

This shot I did with a less fine grind, on the old triple basket. Decent crema, decent flow, not too light either, although its a tad lighter than the phone picked up. Also a big factor I found was to take the temperature down on my machine as it was pushing 1.5+ bars on the boiler. I still need to adjust the brew pressure but have not figured out how to do this in this specific machine.

Looks nice. I had struggled with my HX Anita the last time I tried, shots were way too bitter. I wish I could just get a PID'ed dual boiler machine, that seems so much easier. When I move again in a couple of weeks I can get it out of storage, set it up and dial it in again from scratch. I'll probably fly in a few pounds of roasted espresso beans for that, not yet sure what the best one would be. I liked the Sweet Maria blend and also remember Vivace fondly. Any other recommendations for beans that are more on the chocolatey side?

Stefan

Note on the hopper: I only make 1-2 double-shots per day, so keeping enough beans in the hopper to help with the grind was not really an option. Plus the cabinet above was too low to allow the grinder to be pushed back enough from the front of the counter. So I removed the hopper, and whenever I go to grind I load beans in the throat of the grinder and then put a metal tamper into the throat to keep the beans weighed down. This method works really well, assuming the throat of the grinder is big enough. If you are having to leave a lot of beans in the hopper and they are getting stale, you will constantly be tightening the grind and may eventually reach a point where it is not possible to get the extraction time you want. But by then the espresso won't be tasting all that great anyway.

The tamper serves a similar purpose, and that's actually what I do with my current grinder. But when I had the Vario, having beans to keep an even flow of beans to the burrs seemed to make a big difference in consistency. I didn't keep the hopper full -- just enough beans in the hopper for 2-3 days of drinks.