Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

much more awesomer
    Even though I rarely make milk beverages at home, I decided to order the v3 steam valve and wand kit, this time from JL Hufford. $69.95 and free shipping, it's cheaper than anywhere else. I figure with the much more consistent shots I'm getting now, plus with temperature stability with the PID, it will be less of a PITA to make milk drinks, so why not upgrade the wand, too?

This will definitely be the last of my investments in coffee gear for some time! I think I'm into the Silvia for close to a grand at this point, but for all intents and purposes it is now an upgraded v3 with PID, pressure gauge and naked v3 portafilter. Will it make espresso as good as a $3000 DB machine? Not likely, but it will be so close as to not matter. I'm already pulling better shots than anything I'm able to find in cafes around here, and it's costing me about 60¢ a shot...
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

That should be a nice setup, hope you enjoy it.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Even though I rarely make milk beverages at home, I decided to order the v3 steam valve and wand kit, this time from JL Hufford. $69.95 and free shipping, it's cheaper than anywhere else. I figure with the much more consistent shots I'm getting now, plus with temperature stability with the PID, it will be less of a PITA to make milk drinks, so why not upgrade the wand, too?

This will definitely be the last of my investments in coffee gear for some time! I think I'm into the Silvia for close to a grand at this point, but for all intents and purposes it is now an upgraded v3 with PID, pressure gauge and naked v3 portafilter. Will it make espresso as good as a $3000 DB machine? Not likely, but it will be so close as to not matter. I'm already pulling better shots than anything I'm able to find in cafes around here, and it's costing me about 60¢ a shot...
    It definitely has the capability to make some great drinks, but the key will be you. More expensive machines just make it easier to make great drinks, but still won't with a barista and no skills.
    Jason

much more awesomer
    ...like at all my local coffee places (not to mention the all the chain places at the airport where I work).
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I was weak and bought a new machine it will be here tomorrow, this is my last machine ever haha. I'll throw up a pic tomorrow evening or early Wednesday morning.

much more awesomer
    Hehe. I feel that. I'd have to sell my car to get the machine I want...
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Hehe. I feel that. I'd have to sell my car to get the machine I want...
    Speedster?

much more awesomer
    Aw, man. I even keep forgetting about the Speedster. See? My dreams are actually down-to-earth! LOL

Nah, I just want a DB QuickMill. But that's still two grand for a one-double-a-day habit. And after I've spent maybe a grand on a souped up Silvia.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    I was weak and bought a new machine it will be here tomorrow, this is my last machine ever haha. I'll throw up a pic tomorrow evening or early Wednesday morning.
    Can you give us more?
    Jason

I have pretty much just sat down had to drive a decent ways to pick it up. This was a review for a local coffee forum, the guy that runs the place wanted to keep it but with his already great setup couldn't justify the money so I got a new machine at an incredible price. I didn't think I'd ever have anything at this level but I couldn't resist it.

La Marzocco GS3

\