Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    The Appaloosa horse club used to do a version of that on the annual trail ride, butt they put the coffee in a pair of panty hose and the water was 212º!
    Funny comparison, this forum keeps making me feel like I am some kind of range-loving cowpoke.

I just don't like specialized equipment! I wouldn't even keep pantyhose around just to filter coffee.

In my experience, there is very little difference between a pot of hot water with powder in it and any other method(aside from espresso, of course!), with the exception of a bit of ground up beans in the bottom of the cup, which I love. I mean, they soak up so much of the bourbon flavor, why not drink them too?

I just got back from an introductory coffee roasting class. Brought home a pound of Ethiopian green beans to play with!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Ooooh What kind? Where did you take the class?

I think they are peaberry. The class was at a small roaster in NE Portland, AJ Java. She is a big proponent of direct trade coffee, which is what I have been buying of late.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I use an electric grinder, Capresso, that has a good range of grind size and conical burrs. Hario Buono kettle and a Chemex. I get my beans from a local place that roasts their own. I use about 28 grams of coffee for 500 grams of water. Weigh the beans, grind, put Chemex on scale, add about 30-40 grams of water to bloom for 45 seconds to a minute. I use Brown Coffee Company's "Island" method for brewing in the Chemex. I use the bleached Chemex filters. Orginally I just used unbleached, but then got a box of the bleached and you really can taste the difference. They have great beans as well if you are into the mail order thing or are local to San Antonio.

http://www.browncoffeeco.com/

There's a place here that uses brown coffee. I like their cottonwood espresso.

Oh good! A coffee thread! My newfound hobby - which has unfortunately sucked up some money for knives. More marginal utility from $$ in coffee now though.

I do 3 Lattes each morning for the girlfriend, colleague and myself - just to practice latte art.

Using an expobar dual leva E61 machine, and got a baratza vario grinder - quite happy with it for anyone who is thinking of getting a small footprint burr grinter.

Just purchased a gene cafe as well (I saw one a few posts back), and some bags of greens have arrived. More fun for the weekend.

Pictures to follow

OK, so it's getting warm and I'm craving a hot cup of coffee less and less and can't afford a knife addiction and a $4/day Starbucks habit either. Last summer I simply brewed hot coffee at night, let it get to room temp and then pour into a caraffe and put it in the fridge overnight and serve iced the next morning. It was OK at best, but I don't know if that's simply an imperfect method or if it can be poorly brewed (I just used an auto drip machine) or crummy beans. I want to be able to make a decent iced coffee.

Right now I think my two options are a cold brew system

http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Cold...5260911&sr=8-1

Or the Aeropress. My understanding is I can make concentrate with the Aeropress and that it refrigerates well. I know I asked a similar question a while ago in this thread, but at the time I was leaning towards something that could do it all. Now I'm looking to get something specifically for making iced coffee. Are either of these two good bets or is there something better I don't know about.

I am planning on buying my own grinder, either a manual grinder or maybe a Capresso Infinity but probably won't pay anymore than what that will cost on a grinder.

The Toddy makes very good iced coffee, better than the aeropress, and the real plus is that with the toddy you only have to make a batch about once a week and that will yield a good volume of coffee, the aeropress is something you would have to make a single serve of everyday/night and chill it. Either way you make it, it should be cut with ~%50 water (to taste).
    The advantage to the aeropress is that it will also function to make hot coffe as well, where the Toddy brewer is a specialty device and only serves that one function.

For a grinder I always give two thumbs up to Baratza refurbs, they are one of those products that really are better than new. They go over all of their returned products with a fine tooth comb to be sure they never come back. I've purchased several as gifts and they are all running strong. IMHO the Baratza Maestro Plus blows the Infinity away.
    http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/comme...ction&key=385R

Personall my favorite summer coffee style is prepared ice dripped, but unfortunately the device to brew this unctuous goodness comes at a steep price. One of these days though, one of these days

+ Reply to Thread