Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 41
Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

much more awesomer
    Not (or only somewhat) visible: I insulated the boiler and PID, swapped the old-style steam wand for the commercial-style v.3 wand, replaced the peeling plastic cowling, and applied about ten pounds of Dynamat Extreme sound-deadening material to the insides. HUGE difference!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

That should help alot looks good. Hope the coffee is better for you .

much more awesomer
    Well, the coffee was already "pretty good," but this will definitely help with shot-to-shot consistency, water and energy savings, convenience, and noise mitigation. Wife is already loving the sound-deadening! Plus, no more bleed-off of air locks from overshooting the temperature? She'll love that that noise is gone, too!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Cool! A friend has a pimped Silvia and loves it. Next weekend I will finally get my Anita out of storage and play around a bit. Just before I had packed it up, I had replaced a few tubes and tried to run it in but I guess I have to start over. Shots were way too bitter and I need to play around with the boiler pressure. Better order some coffee, so I have material to play with...

Stefan

much more awesomer
    I was struck by how imilahe Anita sounds compared to the Silvia, except that it's a bit more subdued (lots more heft to the QM's construction). I guess they share a very similar Ulka pump. I wonder if the Anita would also benefit from some sound deadener -- the Silvia has lots of flexible, thin panels that vibrate like crazy.

First couple of shots this morning are impressive. I had to bleed off a few times because I couldn't believe there was no huge overshoot (and thus, boil-off) causing vapor-lock. But, as I should have trusted, no vapor-lock! With 22.5 g in the VST tamped about 35 lbs, the pump built up to 9 bar and sat there until the end of the 28 second shot. Cool.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Just got my new base/piston for my Torr Tamper. This time I went with a 85.4 to and convex 2 bottom. Basically a convex with a flat bottom in the middle. Fits the VST basket perfectly. Not sure if it is the fit, or the different curve but shots are seriously a step up.

If I was to describe the taste I would say there was always this very slight slight hint of bitterness hiding in the background. Not really there but more implied like when you know someone is standing behind you. Now that has subsided and brought forward some flavours like cinnamon or butterscotch. Very interesting, and a bit of a surprise. Same grind settings, heat settings, pressure, etc. Did a couple of side by sides just to be sure.

Pulling 20grams in a 20 gram VST.
    Also a bit energized and ready to spring my bike to work (too much coffee).

much more awesomer
    Quote Originally Posted by DerSnap View Post
    Not really there but more implied like when you know someone is standing behind you.
    How very existentialist, Mr. Sartre! LOL

These are interesting observations; I may have to consider getting the new base for my Reg Barber.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    How very existentialist, Mr. Sartre! LOL

These are interesting observations; I may have to consider getting the new base for my Reg Barber.
    what is the best coffee to you?

I am sure this has been asked before....don't have the time to go back through all the thread plus my computer stinks LOL

Ethiopian Yergacheffe?

I am wondering because I really love my coffee in the AM as I am in such a rush usually I just go with the Keurig...I know I should be roasting and using a french press or whatever but I just don't have the time

much more awesomer
    Ordered a 58.35 mm (VST) base for my Reg Barber tamper from eBay seller precisiontampermaker and I couldn't be happier. After a series of emails to confirm the size and style I wanted, the part was shipped quickly from West Palm Beach, FL, to my address in waaaay upstate NY and got there in three days over the holiday weekend by USPS Priority Post. The workmanship and finishing is impeccable, And my digital calipers measure the base at precisely 58.350 mm. The only noticeable difference with the Reg base is that his is cut to set the handle in, providing a flush transition from the handle to the base. The new base is flat above the bevel, but together they still look like an original piece. At $27.50 plus shipping, this is a great deal. As noted above, it had an instant impact (no pun intended) on my shots.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

much more awesomer
    Calibrated the Vario this morning as I was noticing I needed quite a bit more than 150 N (~33 lbs) of force to slow my shots at a very fine setting; the "multiple-pass" tamping style that was necessary with the undersized piston probably hid this from me while the new one made it obvious. The Vario needed five full turns of the adjuster screw to get in tune! Now I have to dial in my grind again, but set around 2/3 down the micro scale and tamped to a measured 33 lbs in one stroke, the first shot was a leisurely ten seconds to first drops and 43 seconds total to 50 ml. Interesting flavors and notes at this rate.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky