Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 47
Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

So I recently (and finally) figured out how to post pictures on the forum so I figure I'll show my set-up. Expobar brewtus 4. It's my first machine and I love it. I got the one without the reservoir as I want to plumb in someday. So now the hose sits in my typhoon preparedness water bottles.

Nice! That tamper looks special -- is it a custom?

As a bicycle freak, I absolutely LOVE Chris King's tampers:

And I'd love to get into that espresso madness myself, but I simply cannot afford another addiction (besides my road bike, my mountain bike, and my knives). A friend of mine, who passed away, was an espresso maniac. He served the best espresso I've ever had. He bought his roast unground, had a grinder himself, and a high value espresso machine. He said it took him months to find out the perfect balance (coffee, grinding degree, amount of water, amount of coffee, water temp, water pressure). But the result was simply perfect! His espresso machine looked like you must have studied rocket science, with all those wheels, valves, and so on... Pretty though!

Fortunately I am blessed with 2 REALLY good Cafés/Restaurants where I live. All I can say, one uses Illy, the other uses Hausbrandt and a Cimbali professional machine. I prefer the latter!

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Nice! That tamper looks special -- is it a custom?
    It's not a custom but it's pretty nice. I'll be away from home for a bit so I can't tell ya exactly who made it. I would love to have Magnus turn me some nice burl for it. And those Chris kings do look amazing. Might have to pick one up. Ive been riding fixie / single speed for about 15 years now and love it

We had Chris King hubs on our racing tandem. I had no idea they made tampers.

Oh yeah! Best hubs and headsets out there. I am even considering buying a high-value espresso machine just to have a justification to buy their tamper!

They also offer salt and pepper shakers!

Oh, have a look at their CIELO branded steel frames: awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    Oh yeah! Best hubs and headsets out there. I am even considering buying a high-value espresso machine just to have a justification to buy their tamper!

They also offer salt and pepper shakers!

Oh, have a look at their CIELO branded steel frames: awesome!!!
    20 thousand KM over last 5 years on my king hubs, second set of rims now just because I changed from 29er size to 650b. It simply amazes me how precision the engineering is on them, and when I did a rebuild last year for cleaning how great they really are on the inside. Besides that Chris King is one of the few factories to offer gourmet century tours, chef with real good food in his factory, gives meal allowances on how far you bike to work, and many other great things. Do I mind paying more for a company like that? No F'n way and I would/do go out of my way to support companies like this, and made in USA.

As for tamper I am still more than satisfied with my Torr tamper made here in Germany and my VST baskets. I think 5-6 years also with my ECM Espresso Machine and Mazzer grinder. Best dam investment every single morning I wake for work and start my day on the right cup.

Don't buy Illy and that **** as these big corp brands simply are wasting resources. Fresh coffee + local roaster is the only way to go as coffee is best with in 2-3 days of roasting.

I will post more soon on my blog thebadboystories.com about the wheels, and other extras to the bike. The Kings are really over due for their write up, but I been sort of wanting to do a special write up for them.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Pcol2000 View Post
    So I recently (and finally) figured out how to post pictures on the forum so I figure I'll show my set-up. Expobar brewtus 4. It's my first machine and I love it. I got the one without the reservoir as I want to plumb in someday. So now the hose sits in my typhoon preparedness water bottles.
    Awesome Machine ! Dual boiler I take it?

Oh yeah dual boiler. I shopped around for close to a year before I took the plunge.

That Expobar is such a bad-ass machine. I had narrowed my choice down between a ECM Technika and the Expobar Brewtus IV. In the end, I ended up not doing anything. I just couldn't justify spending $2k on a machine just for me.

Maybe now that I can roast my own beans I can look into something that a little bit more budget friendly. I guess I should give Craig's List a view.