Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 48
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3846474849 LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    That Expobar is such a bad-ass machine. I had narrowed my choice down between a ECM Technika and the Expobar Brewtus IV. In the end, I ended up not doing anything. I just couldn't justify spending $2k on a machine just for me.

Maybe now that I can roast my own beans I can look into something that a little bit more budget friendly. I guess I should give Craig's List a view.
    You know you want it go ahead and take the $2k plunge. You'll forget about the money after about a month. I had the Quickmill Silvano for about a year, I never tried a 2k ish machine but the silvano put out some really good coffee. I'd recommend it unless you can spend the extra in which case treat yourself pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    That Expobar is such a bad-ass machine. I had narrowed my choice down between a ECM Technika and the Expobar Brewtus IV. In the end, I ended up not doing anything. I just couldn't justify spending $2k on a machine just for me.

Maybe now that I can roast my own beans I can look into something that a little bit more budget friendly. I guess I should give Craig's List a view.
    I was also looking at the Expobar but i got my ECM for about 800 Euros. It was a floor model that never got used, and people would rather have spent 3K euro for terrible automatic machines than the only good machine in the whole city. Loved it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    You know you want it go ahead and take the $2k plunge. You'll forget about the money after about a month. I had the Quickmill Silvano for about a year, I never tried a 2k ish machine but the silvano put out some really good coffee. I'd recommend it unless you can spend the extra in which case treat yourself pretty.
    My philosophy on this subject is simple:
    If the first thing you can start your day off is with the absolute best coffee, and hopefully breakfast that even the richest man in the world might not have, then it is a good start. Puts one into a good ritual of a fine art that I feel sets the pace. I also shave with a straight razor of a good quality for the same reasons (if I shave), and naturally we all are here because of this with knives also.

BTW the money I have likely saved on going to shops was well worth it and when I go to a shop it is more of a special treat and it will be a very special shop indeed.

Good thoughts, starting the day with treating ourselves with care and dignity can make a big difference. I just wish I didn't have to get up so dang early when I am really more a night person.

As for 'you will forget the money in a month' - that may be true, but your wife will never forget

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    ... As for 'you will forget the money in a month' - that may be true, but your wife will never forget

Stefan
    Since I don't have a wife anymore, I don't have to worry about that. Unfortunately, I'm going to have a super humongous tax bill for 2014 that I've saved for. A one year anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by DerSnap View Post
    I was also looking at the Expobar but i got my ECM for about 800 Euros. It was a floor model that never got used, and people would rather have spent 3K euro for terrible automatic machines than the only good machine in the whole city. Loved it ever since.
    Which ECM? The Technika? If you eher find such bargain again, PLEASE let me know, I'll even drive those 500km to get wherever necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    . . . .
    As for 'you will forget the money in a month' - that may be true, but your wife will never forget

Stefan
    I'm beginning to think there ought to be a coffee mug inscribed with some of your quotes.

I still drool over a machine or two that I see on the interwebs, but basically have my coffee down to a science at this point.

I have a r58 and a K10 PB and use a 18g vst basket with home roasted beans. I drop somewhere around 25 g in my 6 oz cup and use a small espro frothing pitcher to steam up a little milk, mix into a pretty shape and drink.

Oddly enough I do one cup on weekdays and two on weekend, and for the cost of those two machines, thats a ton of money per cup.

On the other hand, I am happy and am drinking what I like now each morning of my life, and that counts for something. I suppose its why I work, is to be able to have some of the things I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesteroid View Post
    Oddly enough I do one cup on weekdays and two on weekend, and for the cost of those two machines, thats a ton of money per cup.
    9 cups/ week would run you ~$30/ wk or $1,560/ yr. You are probably paying less than $15/ wk for beans, milk and electricity. So each year you are putting ~$800 towards the cost of that gear. You will be ahead many years before your equipment is no longer functional.

And the ritual of grinding/ brewing/ drinking is a nice relaxing start to the day; much better than standing in line at StarSucks. Hard to put the value on that, but to me it is pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    Which ECM? The Technika? If you eher find such bargain again, PLEASE let me know, I'll even drive those 500km to get wherever necessary!

Mechanika III

http://www.dersnap.com/snap-tools/ki...chine-360.html

If they had a second one I would have snapped it up in a second for the office. Never found a deal similar, but then again I have not been looking hard anymore as I am more than satisfied with this machine. If I change machines it would be custom model like a Kees Van Der Westen. Maybe someday when I build my own house with a studio when I sell a million records *dreams**