Quantcast
Black garlic
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black garlic

Black garlic

Is there someone here who Has used black garlic and what did you found of iT?

not bad. molassesee, sweet, earthy. its alright.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Crap, I keep forgetting that I have a vacuum pack of black garlic. Any suggested uses? I bought it on a whim.

My friend and i made a dressing for chicories with black garlic, leek ash, pickled mustard seeds and a few other bits. It's a fun product.

That sounds good.

And I thought it was only good for warding of African American vampires

Made a tarragon black garlic butter for asparagus before. Very tasty

Edipis... I love black garlic. Not only is it good for you but it smells and tastes fantastic. Umami in your face.

I like to use it in rubs, sauces, marinades, and even use it on its own as an accent sauce by pureeing it.

If I'm going to use it as a puree, I peel it, toss it in the vita prep. Then, take the peelings and bring them to a simmer in a little water. Buzz the garlic in the vita prep using the infused water to thin to desired consistency. Sometimes if it's not black enough for you, add a touch of squid or cuddle fish ink.

Recently I've been making black garlic salt where I'll peel the garlic, smear it into a paste, then mix it with kosher salt until I have a "miso paste consistency". From there I crumble it into a sheet tray and put it on top of the oven all day, crumbling it with my fingers every thirty minutes to an hour until it is dry. (you can do this in an oven with the door cracked, at 150 F for an expedited process)
    After my garlic crumbles are dry, I push them through a china cap to separate any large clumps from the rest of the product, which should come out consistent in size and individual granules of salt. (I use the bi-product, the clumps, in cures, rubs, sauces, ect)

I also once took this black garlic, "miso paste consistency", and before I did anything with it, I very gently completely covered raw egg yolks with the black garlic salt paste (and a little sugar) and cured them for 6 weeks. The end result was little firm egg yolks with the consistency of an aged gouda.
    Black on the outside and bright yellow on the inside with awesome black garlic flavor. I then used these on a microplane as a garnish... you could probably even shave them into super thin discs like a truffle on a truffle board or mandoline, if you so desired.

Made a "black garlic crumble" where I took dark rye bread and cubed it, toasted it on low to dry it out. Then robo-couped it with a heavy amount of black garlic. I then removed it from the robo, and took it back to the oven to dry it out a bit more... plus toasting it all together to meld all flavors.
    To finish this, remove the black garlic/rye crumble from the oven and put it back into the robo coupe... spinning it again to desired texture while adding salt to taste and a few cubes of cold butter. delicious.

I make a killer black garlic and roasted Meyer lemon vinaigrette.

Also, a black garlic, blueberry and wild mushroom marmalade.

Or, a gremolata subbing black garlic.

Also, use when poaching fruits like peaches or nectarines in a liqueur.

Add to any pasta dish...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Black garlic mayo. Done.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

+ Reply to Thread