Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marinate for Pork Tenderloin

Marinate for Pork Tenderloin

Hello people, I'm looking for ideas for a marinate for a pork tenderloin. My wife would like it cooked on the BBQ with Plum Sauce so I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for an overnight marinate to compliment the plum sauce?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Jack

Don't marinate it. Brine it and give it a dry rub with sugar-free cocoa powder, salt, cumin, pepper, and chili. The cocoa powder goes great with plum sauce. Just make sure it's not sweetened.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    Don't marinate it. Brine it and give it a dry rub with sugar-free cocoa powder, salt, cumin, pepper, and chili. The cocoa powder goes great with plum sauce. Just make sure it's not sweetened.
    Thank you - Do you have a brine solution that you would recommend? The dry rub is simple enough but I was considering cooking it with the plum sauce on (over the dry rub?).

Quote Originally Posted by jacko9 View Post
    Thank you - Do you have a brine solution that you would recommend? The dry rub is simple enough but I was considering cooking it with the plum sauce on (over the dry rub?).
    A 2% equilibrium brine. I would not cook it with the plum sauce on it. It will leave the meat too wet to sear and the sugars in the sauce will burn. I would just cook it with the rub on, and have the sauce served on the side.
    Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    A 2% equilibrium brine. I would not cook it with the plum sauce on it. It will leave the meat too wet to sear and the sugars in the sauce will burn. I would just cook it with the rub on, and have the sauce served on the side.
    Thanks for your help - I'll give it a try tomorrow ;-)

+1 on the brining. I brined a couple of veal rib chops the other night and it made all the difference in the world. Even my wife's chop was really tender and juicy (she likes her meat well done sigh....)

My tenderloin is sitting in a 2% brine in my frig. My next concern is talking the wife into BBQ'ing with a dry rub instead of a wet plum sauce. I have a day to work out that detail ;-)

You can also throw a handful of herbs in the brine if you want....I just use whatever fresh herbs are hand in the fridge or back yard. Also, I usually let it dry for a while before grilling so it will get a crust (more important with poultry that has a skin that you want to crisp up but it still helps.)

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfmacaw View Post
    You can also throw a handful of herbs in the brine if you want....I just use whatever fresh herbs are hand in the fridge or back yard. Also, I usually let it dry for a while before grilling so it will get a crust (more important with poultry that has a skin that you want to crisp up but it still helps.)
    For pork tenderloin - I have fresh basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary - what would you suggest that will go with the plum sauce?

Rosemary and thyme are pretty classic with pork. Maybe a clove of garlic and some peppercorns. It all depends on what you like....it'll be pretty subtle if you are using the dry rub which will dominate the flavors. The brining makes sure the meat is seasoned all the way through.....It makes a difference on mild flavored meats like pork or veal. I really like brining turkeys...that makes a huge difference.