Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cooking with psychoactive plants

cooking with psychoactive plants

I have always had a interest in medicinal plants since I was young. I have also been working in kitchens since I was in high school. I have always thought about incorporating psychoactive plants into cooking, but never really brought into existence. Some of these plants I'm thinking of include blue lotus(or any lilly/lotus), passion flower, wild lettuce, pedicularis, dandelion, lemon balm, calea ternifolia, and mulien just to name a few. Some of these are colourful and contain some interesting flavours. The possibilities are infinite, there is such an overwhelming variety of plants.
    Any thoughts from the people?

I used to make blue honey (psilocybin mushrooms and local honey) but wouldn't recommend it for the general population.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

ha, yeah maybe it would be good for special events. I was actually reading about a restaurant that was cooking with cannabis in various forms, from herb to oil to butter, and I think everything on their menu had cannabis in it in some way or another. The way I see it the dinning experience is one of the senses. we manipulate the smells, taste, feel, eyes, atmosphere. Why not take it a step further and caress the mind. The thing about these plants is the affects are subtle and wouldn't over power the other elements of the experience. I think cannabis can be overpowering and take away from some of the other senses.

That's a nice idea, though I doubt anyone would notice any effects from any of the plants you mention. I did once make spinokopita using, amongst other things, opium poppy greens, and we certainly felt those, though if you're going for legal herbs those would likely be ruled out.
    I've always been a bit mystified by the addition of "real" drugs into food, mushrooms on pizza, space cakes, etc.. Not that I have ever taken illegal drugs of any kind or ever would, but personally I feel that getting loaded and fine dining are often complementary but in deep essence very different things.

I'll have to agree with Jim on this one. In my late teens early 20's, I took enough acid and mushrooms to get the population of the eastern seaboard high. No joke. Never had a bad trip. But I witnessed more people than I can remember having less than desirable experiences. Altered states aren't for everyone.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post
    That's a nice idea, though I doubt anyone would notice any effects from any of the plants you mention. I did once make spinokopita using, amongst other things, opium poppy greens, and we certainly felt those, though if you're going for legal herbs those would likely be ruled out.
    I've always been a bit mystified by the addition of "real" drugs into food, mushrooms on pizza, space cakes, etc.. Not that I have ever taken illegal drugs of any kind or ever would, but personally I feel that getting loaded and fine dining are often complementary but in deep essence very different things.
    I agree about unnoticeable effects. Which is what attracts me to the other plants. The subtlety of the effects I think is good as it wont take away from the rest of the experience. Just because something isn't overpowering doesn't mean its not working its magic. For instance coffee is a psychoactive plant and its not overpowering, at least for me. Cocoa is a psychoactive plant, actually in europe there is a new fad where people are snorting cocoa in clubs. So my focus is more on subtle psychoactive plants. Also some of these plants are visually pleasing.

Certainly it is a nice conversation (or selling) point, why not?
    As an aside, I'm not sure I believe people would be so silly, but anyone snorting cocoa in a club probably deserves to snort cocoa in a club.

I to found the snorting of cocoa hilarious, but its a real thing. People have even gone as far as creating a device that propels the cocoa powder into the face. I don't know how it came to be.

There's been known cases in Europe, where poppy seeds are a common baking ingredient, of people failing drug tests (without obvious effects) after having a good portion of Mohnkuchen Also, cases where people got at least lightly poisoned from unfortunate combinations of poppy seed brands unexpectedly high in active compounds*, preparation methods not expecting such, and people having a low tolerance (children especially).

*some brands sell a raw, unmilled style that an inexperienced baker could mistake for a ready-to-cook product. Comes with instructions saying to rinse the stuff in a certain way, which can easily be overlooked.

Yes I remember reading about this when I was a kid. There where even claims that making a concentrated tea from some seeds would yield an active brew, though I kind of doubt the potency of such a brew