Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lao gan ma- spicy chili crisp

Lao gan ma- spicy chili crisp

I've been working at this restaurant for about 6 months now, we have an eclectic mix of world street foods, a bit of everything if you will. We use this stuff as a garnish on all of our 'asain' food, ITS THE BEST! It's truly makes the dish. It's salty, spicy, crunchy, a little sweet, big umami flavor. I'm sure there's tons of msg in it which I think is great.
    Here's the stuff

Has anybody else used this stuff? Restaurant or personal. What do you think of it!

Prefer the one that comes with peanuts.

This, but I'm sure without is good as well. Doesn't bring a lot of heat, just a nice red chili flavor. Great stuff

Quote Originally Posted by glestain View Post
    Prefer the one that comes with peanuts.

There's one with peanuts? Is it very different?

For me Yes. I tried both.

Never had the one without peanuts, but the one with them doesn't really taste peanut-ty, they are just something cool to nibble on.

I actually still remember randomly visiting the production factory for this place in Guizhou, China many years ago (yeah, chinese based tours take you to shops and force you to buy things).

Guizhou was such a dump that this sauce was the only thing I remembered about the trip. I was shocked to find it in Australia like 10 years after that trip. I guess now it's gone world wide

So this stuff is pretty popular then? I was under the assumption it was still flying under the radar but I guess not

Has a bit of Prickly Ash oil in it so gives a slight numbing sensation common to many Szechuan condiments.

you mean Sichuan pepper??.. never heard of it been called prickly ash

Quote Originally Posted by Nomo4me View Post
    Has a bit of Prickly Ash oil in it so gives a slight numbing sensation common to many Szechuan condiments.