Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 23
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by chokobo View Post
    Ok, I think I just expected too much from my Italian machine.
    You are comparing your prosumer Alex to commercial machines like La Marzocco, Synesso and KVDW. Not fair imo.

Lars

Aarrgghhh I just looked on Craigslist and someone sold 2 Mazzers from closing down a coffee shop 3 days ago. Now, does anybody know what grinder this is?

Name:  5G55Kd5J23E33G63F3c8med1880812d9a1d39.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  24.7 KB

Stefan

Looks like a Rossi RR45, I would generally consider it a good deal at 250.
    It is stepped with rather large steps though. Commercial quality, you see a lot of them branded for Astra.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    You are comparing your prosumer Alex to commercial machines like La Marzocco, Synesso and KVDW. Not fair imo.

Lars
    My point was that prosumer Italian machines are not as good as they are hyped are to be or should be for their price point - imo anyway. Either way they will produce good coffee. More so the grinder, beans and most importantly the barista will be the defining factor.

Stefan, I believe that is one of the commonly rebranded Italian grinders, specifically the Rossi RR45 grinder. Rebranded also as the Nuova Simonelli MDX and Eureka MDM. Not sure exactly which model it is, so would be good to check it out in person so that you can check on burr size, but you should be able to source new burrs quite easily.

Thanks guys, would that be a step up from my doserless Rancilio Rocky? The seller didn't find any name (but Made in Italy) on it but she also doesn't know anything about it - bought a business that came with it. She says it runs smoothly and the asking price is more than reasonable, so maybe I play around and replace the burrs if necessary. Or would I be better off with the Rocky?

Stefan

Should be somewhat Super Jolly quality if 64mm burrs? Apart from it not being stepless, it should still be step up in grind quality from the Rocky.

much more awesomer
    The machines at all the Virgin Lounges I've visited (Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne) use Rancilios. The original Gregan's on Pitt in Central, Sydney uses (used, when I was there in 2009 and again in 2010) a LM. I tend to see more LMs and Rancilios than any other brand. I have yet to see a Synesso up here.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Err I meant speciality 3rd wave cafes. Melbourne - eg. St Ali's, Seven Seeds, Patricia's Coffee Brewers, Clement Coffee, Auction Rooms, Proud Mary, etc. Sydney - Coffee Alchemy, Mecca Espresso, Sample Coffee Bar, Toby's Estate, Reuben Hills, Single Origin Roasters, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Thanks guys, would that be a step up from my doserless Rancilio Rocky? The seller didn't find any name (but Made in Italy) on it but she also doesn't know anything about it - bought a business that came with it. She says it runs smoothly and the asking price is more than reasonable, so maybe I play around and replace the burrs if necessary. Or would I be better off with the Rocky?

Stefan
    If I were Starting up I might choose the Rossi, but I wouldn't upgrade from the Rocky to get it. The cost/benefit isn't there.
    If you upgrade go stepless and keep an eye out for these brands in particular: Mazzer, Macap, Compak.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Stefan, just be patient and keep checking CL (and ebay). SJs come up all the time.

+ Reply to Thread