Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 29
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Dave, I seen them and was actually planning on getting the Aeropress. (I think its called) single cup press that also doubles to make espresso. Yet would love one that makes 10 cups of coffee. Ill have a look tonight and see what I find. Thanks

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Like Dave said a French press.
    Jason

much more awesomer
    I know some of you have way more elaborate setups and top-shelf grinders and machines (oh, how I yearn for an Andreja Premium), but does anyone have experience with Hi-Tech Espresso in LA?

I've long wanted to PID my Silvia and was ready to send my cash to Auber Instruments, but I wonder if Hi-Tech's rants about (against) Auber hold water. Hi-Tech won't sell the PID kit, I'd have to ship them my Silvia and let them do the mod. Even so, that ~$300 investment should help my $600 toy play more like a $1500 vibe machine until I can justify the big upgrades (I'll need a top-shelf grinder before I even consider something superior to the Silvia).

Any thoughts?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Randy, If you like a more clean cup you should also consider a Hario V60 (or similar). Great coffee!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	13480Just roasted some Kenya! Hottop. Took it to FC. Attachment 13478
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg‎
Views:	7
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	13479  

The Kenya looks good Eric. I had a few pound of it and its now gone I roast mine a bit darker.

OK. I have a question. Im ready to invest in a coffee pot. Yep its time. Suggestions welcomed.

a few things I would like. Carafe pot. low profile.
    a few things I dont need . Brew timers. digital settings.

Please give me some input.
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Randy did you find any Morels this spring? I never did get out to look like I had hoped.
    For Coffee I think you were right on track with either an Aeropress, FP or Hario. Heck you can buy all three for a fraction of what many electronic coffee contraptions cost and they will all work better. If you want a carafe just but a separate carafe or make fresh coffee.

Dave
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

We did get out and found a good batch of Shrooms. And as always . Enjoyed every bite! Im gona try and take a walk this weekend to a location I have found the Large white morels. heres a picture of the first finds of the season.

Im all about doing what you suggested. But my other half wants to be able to brew a pot of coffee. So Im looking for a pore over style pot at the moment. Has anyone tried Cuasanart? I found a nice looking set up with a grind and brew feature. Where the grinder is built into the pot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mushroom monday! 002 (800x687).jpg‎
Views:	7
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	15715  

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Randy,

Don't buy the Cuisinart. The grind and brew sounds convenient, but what do you do when it breaks? I had one before I became knowledgable about coffee and it sucked. This is why I don't like multi-taskers in electronics, too many things can go wrong and affect the whole thing. Plus the grinder sucks and the water doesn't get hot enough to extract properly. I have a Technivorm brewer I rarely use, but if I were to buy again I would get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV180...a+coffee+maker
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Randy,

Don't buy the Cuisinart. The grind and brew sounds convenient, but what do you do when it breaks? I had one before I became knowledgable about coffee and it sucked. This is why I don't like multi-taskers in electronics, too many things can go wrong and affect the whole thing. Plus the grinder sucks and the water doesn't get hot enough to extract properly. I have a Technivorm brewer I rarely use, but if I were to buy again I would get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV180...a+coffee+maker
    Why would you get this Bonavita over the Techivorm?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

+ Reply to Thread