Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    Why would you get this Bonavita over the Techivorm?
    Easy, half the price and SCAA certified. The only reason I got the Technivorm (at the time) is because it was one of the few home machines that was SCAA certified and could count on it to extract the coffee at the right temp.
    Jason

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, and was delighted to just discover this gem of a thread. One of my other hobbies/passions is coffee. I've been roasting for 11 years and have gone through a ton of machines and grinders in that time. We just remodeled our kitchen a few years ago and designed it around our Elektra T1 espresso machine. I'm currently using that machine with a Mazzer mini, use an Aeropress with a Zassenhaus grinder when I'm traveling, and roast with a Behmor. Here's a shot I posted to instagram of some latte art in my morning cup.

Glad to be here and I look forward to the discussion.

Jeff

AFKitchenKnivesGuy: I'm curious about the Bonavita. I've not used it before, and don't read much on drip coffees since I drink mostly espresso, so wasn't aware of it. How's it stack up against the Technivorm? Is it a simple matter of the water being precisely set at the optimum temperature or is it customizable like the Behmor Brazen? I've not used the Brazen before either, but saw an early product demo at our local roasting club. The owner/inventor, Joe, is part of the group and showed it to us all before taking it to SCAA for its debut. But, I had to leave before tasting anything from it. I've contemplated getting a new drip machine for variety and the Brazen was going to be the top choice, but if the Bonavita is recommended it may be worth consideration.

Thanks.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jalanpipes View Post
    AFKitchenKnivesGuy: I'm curious about the Bonavita. I've not used it before, and don't read much on drip coffees since I drink mostly espresso, so wasn't aware of it. How's it stack up against the Technivorm? Is it a simple matter of the water being precisely set at the optimum temperature or is it customizable like the Behmor Brazen? I've not used the Brazen before either, but saw an early product demo at our local roasting club. The owner/inventor, Joe, is part of the group and showed it to us all before taking it to SCAA for its debut. But, I had to leave before tasting anything from it. I've contemplated getting a new drip machine for variety and the Brazen was going to be the top choice, but if the Bonavita is recommended it may be worth consideration.

Thanks.

Jeff
    Just to be clear, i've never used it. When I am not drinking espresso based drinks, I am usually a french press guy. I don't see much difference with it compare to the Technivorm other than one being hand built versus machine built. The Brazen is another good choice (I have a Behmor myself and it's good quality for price). We are starting to see a lot of great options for home brewers as technology in the industry becomes normalized, and the prices in turn are coming down. When I bought the Technivorm many years ago, there wasn't many options for a properly brewed drip machine. Considering the price, either the Brazen or Bonavita seem a good choice.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jalanpipes View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, and was delighted to just discover this gem of a thread. One of my other hobbies/passions is coffee. I've been roasting for 11 years and have gone through a ton of machines and grinders in that time. We just remodeled our kitchen a few years ago and designed it around our Elektra T1 espresso machine. I'm currently using that machine with a Mazzer mini, use an Aeropress with a Zassenhaus grinder when I'm traveling, and roast with a Behmor. Here's a shot I posted to instagram of some latte art in my morning cup.

Glad to be here and I look forward to the discussion.

Jeff
    Nice latte art!
    Jason

Cool thread. I've been dying to get a rocket espresso cellini, but the price is a bit above my budget and there are no deals on these guys
    JP

Thanks guys for the input. I am going to buy the Bonavita.. Ill let ya all know what think of it once It arrives and I have had a chance to brew some coffee through it.

I also secured a Bunn which will be for summer camping trips and a backup. Just in case.

Blessings
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

For you guys who like latte art, here's a link to the best howto videos I've found on the topic:

http://www.howcast.com/guides/1067-How-to-Do-Latte-Art

Unfortunately, the series doesn't really address my biggest weakness, which is the ability to regularly create microfoam. I was doing well on my old espresso machine (La Spaz vivaldi), but with the newer beefier setup, I always get air bubbles.

Great thread, hadn't noticed it before.

Vinster, thanks for that link, excellent videos. I had a lot of trouble getting good microfoam on my Pasquini Livia 90 when I first got it, one thing that helped was changing out the stock nozzle. The original nozzle had four larger holes which made controlling the steam flow difficult and resulted in lots of bubbles, the new one I picked up had 2 much smaller holes and that gave me much more control on the flow and my mircofoam improved greatly.

Let me know your thoughts on it Randy.
    Jason

+ Reply to Thread