Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 32
Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

If you are a dedicated espresso drinker probably any of the multi-grinders are going to disappoint compared to the Mazzer, Rocky etc. However if you want a machine that can jump from FP to pour over and still get good results for some espresso machines then the Baratza Preciso is a very good option. What you get out of the Vario depends on the burr set you use. I thought about going that route but I there was a very detailed article on line that concluded the precisco actually is more consistent and costs a lot less.

Dave
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

I tried the Vario-W and found that it would never go back to the same settings.. Vario indeed.
    I ended up with a big Kitchenaid and kitted it to work with high end burrs.
    Much better! When I turn the knob.. Things change!

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Let me know your thoughts on it Randy.
    I received the Bonavita last week and wanted to give it a few days of use testing and tasting.. Before I reported on it..

Overall. I am IMPRESSED! I have recently had some of the worst luck with coffee pots. in the last 6 months I have went through 4 pots. this makes number 5. I wish I would of started with this pot when I first started roasting beans.

My new Bonavita BV1800 makes a great cup of coffee, and by far the best cup I have experienced at home. My wife also has stated more then once this week about the coffee being the best she has ever had.

Thanks so much for the recommendation.
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    I received the Bonavita last week and wanted to give it a few days of use testing and tasting.. Before I reported on it..

Overall. I am IMPRESSED! I have recently had some of the worst luck with coffee pots. in the last 6 months I have went through 4 pots. this makes number 5. I wish I would of started with this pot when I first started roasting beans.

My new Bonavita BV1800 makes a great cup of coffee, and by far the best cup I have experienced at home. My wife also has stated more then once this week about the coffee being the best she has ever had.

Thanks so much for the recommendation.
    Randy
    Now don't be stirring up my AD! My current list of coffee toys will likely last me forever but that is definately the one to get right now. I wish more people would learn the buy once, cry once mantra!
    Jason

Im just really pleased with this coffee pot and wish I would of spent the cash to begin with rather then wasting all them fresh roasted beans on inferior brewers!

Live and learn.

Blessings
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

much more awesomer
    Finally getting around to replacing my crappy Krups grinder with a real espresso grinder after having found a decent deal for a Vario on eBay.

Vario users: what should my initial settings for espresso be before I start dialling in? I have just received a fresh 5 lb. bag of Red Bird (roasted Friday), and will be pulling with an unmodded Silvia through a VST basket. I plan to PID Miss Silvia soon.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I have a Silvia and an older Mokita machine (which is running strong after 12 years). I grind my coffee with a Rocky grinder. Despite the great coffee these machines make I find myself turning to my Nespresso machine a lot just for the convenience factor.

ECM Espresso Machine myself with Mazzer Mini Mod B grinder 64mm Burrs.
    Did a quick test shot video yesterday of it and usually with a triple basket.
    Got the VST basket on the way.

Coffee is a big love of mine, right up there with cocktails, and cooking.
    Yes knives are part of that cooking thing

much more awesomer
    I did a couple of test pulls this morning with the factory-recommended starting point of 1-K on the Vario. My usual 19.5 g in a Synesso 18 g basket choked the stock (but fairly well-used) Silvia. 23 g in the VST triple yielded a slightly bitter, powdery shot but a pretty decent cone with the naked PF. Dialled the micro back to O and dosed the same and the VST blonded a bit early, but there was no powder. I'll play some more this afternoon, but MAN what a difference from a cheap burr grinder!
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I had a Baratza Vario for about a year. It worked pretty well, as long as you had some beans in the hopper. It was horribly inconsistent if you were dosing one shot at a time. If you use the manufacturer's instructions to calibrate your zero point, I think I was usually grinding around 1 notch down on the left (macro) side and about a third of the way down in the micro adjustment. If I changed beans, I normally only had to change the micro adjustment up or down a few notches. it was very rare that I had to move the macro lever.