Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    I have pretty much just sat down had to drive a decent ways to pick it up. This was a review for a local coffee forum, the guy that runs the place wanted to keep it but with his already great setup couldn't justify the money so I got a new machine at an incredible price. I didn't think I'd ever have anything at this level but I couldn't resist it.\
    Sweet! You will love it. I got one 4 years ago as a wedding present for my wife and I. Once the credit card bill was paid I never regretted the purchase

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Sweet! You will love it. I got one 4 years ago as a wedding present for my wife and I. Once the credit card bill was paid I never regretted the purchase
    That's a *really* nice wedding present

hey, I felt we were worth it

Got everything setup and pulled a couple of shots, as good as my old machine but I am still getting a feel for it. Ruined some perfectly good milk by steaming it poorly for my wife, and I couldn't figured out how to turn the thing off haha. It should be a fun learning experience and an awesome piece of equipment.

Steaming was the toughest thing for me to nail down. It goes quick if you are only steaming enough for one cappa. When I bought mine it was common for people to change out the wand, but I stuck with the stock one. Not sure if the wand on the current machines is the same one or not.

My stock wand is very very powerful! Took me a while to get used to it, and I still have problems with it from time to time. I've found that it's easiest to steam a small amount of milk (< 4oz) using an 8oz pitcher. I submerge the tip for just a second or two to get some hissing, then I plunge it to get the whirlpool going.

If you're looking to do a short cap or machiato, you're just going to have to accept the fact that you're going to dump some milk. I usually dump just a bit off the top which happens to be the most fluffy anyway.

A friend swears by his sproline tip. I'm not sure if I'm ready to spend the $100+ on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    Got everything setup and pulled a couple of shots, as good as my old machine but I am still getting a feel for it. Ruined some perfectly good milk by steaming it poorly for my wife, and I couldn't figured out how to turn the thing off haha. It should be a fun learning experience and an awesome piece of equipment.
    Turning off the machine? or the steam wand? Take caution turning off the machine!!! if you push the wrong button, you might get a handful of hot water from the tea spout.

Quote Originally Posted by vinster View Post
    Take caution turning off the machine!!! if you push the wrong button, you might get a handful of hot water from the tea spout.
    This WILL happen. A bunch! They really do not intend for the machine to be turned on and off a lot. I'm surprised they have not changed that over the last 4+ years.

For frothing, I go with the same amount of milk (around 3-3.5 oz) and pitcher size as Vinster. I initially used a bigger pitcher but it just did not work.

One for good measure why not

Thanks for all the good info here guys, its been helpful.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I just ordered some Rustico and Toscano from Counter Culture, would love to pull those shots with that!
    Jason