Quantcast
Coffee gear and discussion thread - Page 43
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee gear and discussion thread

My opinion -- If you can source decent roated beans spend the $ on the grinder first. No sense roasting your own if you're not getting the best grind you can.

I have a mazzer major I am maybe looking to sell. It's been sitting unused for about 6 months. It is a beast!

After beans are roasted or grind what is the optimal usage time or freshness ?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    After beans are roasted or grind what is the optimal usage time or freshness ?
    After I roast, I use within a 2 week period (usually only roast enough for a week) and they are kept in a double valve bag. After ground, the freshness takes a huge dive, so I usually grind right before using. Remember, it's the oils that provide the flavor, and they dry up quick after exposed to oxygen, hence the stale flavor. To answer your second question, use in less than an hour after grinding, but preferably right away.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by vinster View Post
    I have a mazzer major I am maybe looking to sell. It's been sitting unused for about 6 months. It is a beast!
    PM me I may be interested.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by vinster View Post
    Tempting as it is, that may be too much for me to handle - not enough space for it either, and I would not seriously be looking to buy before February. Jason, if you take the MM, what will you be selling?

Stefan

Right now I have a couple Mazzer Mini's, but have been looking for a used Major for awhile.
    Jason

Mmhh, I think a Mini would fit here. On local Craigslist someone is offering a used Jolly with new hopper, new lids and burrs in 'excellent shape', that made me think also. Again, bigger than I wanted and at $475 a touch more than it should be, but saving the hassle and cost of shipping one of these monsters out here is probably worth some extra cash. Dor the same money I get a factory refurbished Baratza Vario-W which supposedly is on one level with the Jolly but has a much smaller foot print - and much more plastic. Any thoughts on the Jolly vs. Mini vs. Vario-W? I guess all are ugrades over the Rocky, and I know there is no final word on this, I read the home-barista and coffee-geek discussions.

Stefan

I don't know if I'd put the Vario on the same level as the Jolly, but it's a very capable machine. I'm not a fan of all the plastic for such an expensive grinder (in comparison to commercial grinder tank build). $475 for a used Jolly is too expensive. Considering burrs will almost always have to be replaced for a well used one, the usual sale price for a used one should be around $300, give or take the condition and how much it was used. I'd love to get a $2K grinder, but thats way above my needs at this point in life. Out of the three, if you go used you can't go wrong. For your situation, a used Vario may be the best option.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Mmhh, I think a Mini would fit here. On local Craigslist someone is offering a used Jolly with new hopper, new lids and burrs in 'excellent shape', that made me think also. Again, bigger than I wanted and at $475 a touch more than it should be, but saving the hassle and cost of shipping one of these monsters out here is probably worth some extra cash. Dor the same money I get a factory refurbished Baratza Vario-W which supposedly is on one level with the Jolly but has a much smaller foot print - and much more plastic. Any thoughts on the Jolly vs. Mini vs. Vario-W? I guess all are ugrades over the Rocky, and I know there is no final word on this, I read the home-barista and coffee-geek discussions.

Stefan
    I never had the mini, but I had both a vario and a super jolly. The vario was good and happy for about 6 months or so, then started to have lots of issues with consistency and static. I couldn't shake it off and I got a great deal on the SJ. The SJ I think was way better in terms of consistency.... then it got me curious, so I got a Major (for the bigger burr), and more recently I was more curious and wanted to try out a conical, so I got the K10. I didn't find the major to be much of an improvement over the SJ...

I'd recommend getting a used SJ if you can. they are built solid and fit great into the home environment.

+ Reply to Thread